www.grtu.org

Guadalupe River Chapter of Trout Unlimited Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:34 pm 

I have decided to spend the day with the wife at the Nature Center in Bourne, and keep reading that it is quite the stream to wade a fish with flies. I have a 3-weight that hasnt seen the light of day since I used it for brookies in the Northeast and I love the idea of "cypress tunnels" sunfish, possible pure strains of gudalupes, and my favorite - Rio Grand cichlid.

As I'm bringing the wife along, I will need to do some fancy footwork (i.e. "the creek is right here honey, I'm only we-wading, oops my 3 wight is strung-up already, etc).
Any tips that you all have on the fishery is a great help! Directions to a wife-freindly area, (shade, places to sit etc.)

Feel free to PM if you dont want to burn your spot :shock:

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:10 pm 

My wife enjoyed our walk out there. I did not fish while were were there, but there are trails to follow, benches to sit on, plenty of shade, etc.

BTW, a 3 wt will be fine, but you may want it no longer than 7.5', the shorter the better, and short/roll casting may be a must in some spots. To be honest, I'm not sure you will find the pure strain Guadalupes in the creek. There may be some hybrids, but most I see are large mouths. What I really appreciate there is that there are a couple of signs to "ask" anglers to practice catch and release only.

Let me know how you do and what the flows are like--I may head out there one morning next week--or to the upper Medina. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited by Danny S on Sat May 14, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

That was my "home waters" when I lived in Boerne (2003-07). Danny has given you good advice. As with most Hill Country streams it fishes best a couple of days after a nice rain.

I always had my best luck with a hopper-dropper or popper-dropper rig. Especially fun downstream from the Center are the Rio Grande Cichlids. They seldom hit on top, but will often take a dark nymph below the surface.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:15 am 

when I was hiking there last week, it was not fishable - there was little to no flow and a continuous algae mat over all the slow water. The rain may have given it a breath of life.

There are no hybrids in the creek they are A-strain endemic Guadalupe bass (and some largemouths) - one of only two or three remaining populations.
Respect that.

This isn't water that can take a lot of traffic, and shouldn't be published in this detail on the open internet.
If you look down the board, up to 3000 people will read this - it's one thing to send a pm to j, - it's something else to post it here.
The water is catch-and-release only, but we've all seen people there filling buckets with bluegill.
It is public, both banks, and in that respect it will stay public, but that stops at the lower end of the Nature Center, and that should definitely be honored - the man who put up the fence donated all the city park land and the 1/2-mile of creek that we get to enjoy.

Les Jackson did the same thing to me on the Pedernales, one of those places where traffic means the ability to fish will be lost. I'm going to quit taking you guys places. Oh, never mind, I already did.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:41 pm 

Got it Ron. I have kept places we've fished together close hold, but didn't think about how fragile Cibolo can be, especially right now. I edited my post to remove some of the info.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

Nothing like being scolded on the internet.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:01 pm 

I'm happy now.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:38 pm 

Thanks for the PMs folks, it was a great help!

Last edited by jchristensen77 on Tue May 17, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:50 am 

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?s ... 0065,00060

the creek looks good. The rain gave it a little spike just above median (10 cfs), but as you can see, it's been running only 1 cfs all year.

your last photo is a great spot, but a very tricky wade to avoid putting every fish down

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:45 pm 

I've long been an advocate of not disclosing the locations of small, sensitive fishing holes!
Too many postings on this and other sites I belong to are identifying them by location or photograghs.
These are sensitive sites and the major population areas of the state could make them unfishabble in a heartbeat!
Please be careful with your postings!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:38 am 

Thanks to internet resources, anyone can find and figure an access to just about any section of public body of water. So there are not really any public "secret" places for those that want to spend a little time searching and then physically exploring, from what I can see. Even areas in out of print books can be located. Remoteness from highly urban locations and ruggedness of terrain may be the only places that receive less fishing pressure.

Still, I get the point about posting photos with locations. Maybe a moratorium on all fishing at sensitive places until the drought ends may help. Otherwise, call the warden if you witness any infractions?

Pon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:51 am 

Some good points made by all, but, to be fair, Cibolo Creek is a as much a secret around here as the Eiffel Tower is to potential visitors to Paris.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:22 am 

I like Alex's point about this fishery being one of the area's worst kep secrets, but its a nice place. I figure, the more flyfishers in the area, the more catch and release. The more people who come onto a strem like this, hopefully interested with like-minds in conservation and stewardship the better the protection. Either way, to be safe I have deleted my pitures of this horible; not worth visiting fishing location. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:45 pm 

It probably doesn't matter how many of us fish the Nature Center. I was fishing there one day and three guys with a long net were sweeping up the creek, bank to bank, cleaning out all the fish they could. They didn't speak English, so we didn't have much of a conversation. Draw your own conclusions. I doubt they were doing a scientific fish survey...

ewell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:48 pm 

clarke wrote:
It probably doesn't matter how many of us fish the Nature Center. I was fishing there one day and three guys with a long net were sweeping up the creek, bank to bank, cleaning out all the fish they could. They didn't speak English, so we didn't have much of a conversation. Draw your own conclusions. I doubt they were doing a scientific fish survey...

ewell

Not Good!!! Call the game warden on that!!