www.grtu.org

Guadalupe River Chapter of Trout Unlimited Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:43 pm 

I got together this morning with a fishing buddy for some UL fishing on a local creek.
I fished with my 2wt, 5'10" bamboo rod that I won at this year's Troutfest auction.
Although the rod is labeled a 2wt, the rod casts better with a 3wt line.

The fish were picky and the flow was low. Man, we need some rain. I did manage to land a few fish.

Here's a few pics:

Same bass as above - different view.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Yes, that rod does look familiar....

And I agree, it casts better with a three weight line.

Glad it is getting some use.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:09 pm 

Edward,
Nice fish it appears that the "grass" rod and you are a good match. Hey what is meant by UL fishing? ultra light?

"Rise and Rise Again, Until Lambs Become Lions"

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:56 am 
Site Admin

Rafael:

Yes, UL means ultralight. Here's an interesting forum that focuses on ultralight fly fishing:

http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:16 pm 

Killer Forum Ultralight Flyfishing. I spent most of the afternoon snooping around.
And I bet you Mick has a dozen or more rods that fit the category 3 weight or less.

Jimbo

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:50 pm 

Curtis (bassackwards) and I fished our UL (ultralight) rods today on a local creek. Curtis fished with his 2wt Greys rod and I fished with my 0wt Sage rod.

Here's a link to the UltraLight Fly Fishing forum where we posted a fishing report:
http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/topic/4796/master/1/?page=1

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:01 am 

Great posts Edward. I saw a bunch on the UL Flyfishing Forum too. I didn't know the extent of your involvement with UL fishing. Looks like the bug bit you bad, not a bad way to go especially for Bream. I learned alot about UL flyrods. I always knew the Orvis Superfine was a nice rod and had a big following. Although I tended to like the Trout Bum series the best, but that's just me. I guess I'm always going to be a faster action kind of guy.

Jimbo

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:04 am 
Site Admin

Yes, Jimbo, you always have been a speedy kind of guy, cars and fly rods as examples.

I resemble the remark you made earlier. I do have a bunch of light rods, and I have tended to add more bamboo than graphite to my quiver lately. The short, light ones are great for fishing under the tree canopy here on Sloan Creek, and I plan to take one along when I attend a TU meeting in eastern Tennessee in June. One of my TU buddies and I want to try for some wild brookies in the small streams of Smoky Mountains National Park.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:48 pm 

Those little Brookie Streams will be just perfect for something short and light.
I have some lighter and shorter rods myself in my 25 rod collection, probably the best fit in the UL crowd would be my 376 SLT. I have only 1 2wt. and it's a 286 RPL+ and 3 3wts.: 389 LL (IM6), 386 XP, and the 376 SLT. My only bamboo rod is the one Floyd built for me being a 7'10" 5wt. It's so beautiful I can spend a lot of time just looking at it and admiring the craftsmanship that went into making it.

BOT.....
I can't believe how far Edward has come since I met him 2 years ago. He really seems to have picked up the essential understanding and tactics it takes to become a good flyfisherman. By the way say Hi to Esther, has she been doing any flyfishing?
Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

Just added another UL bamboo rod to my quiver. It is an Orvis Madison 7ft, 2pc, rated for an IGI (three weight) line. It's a bit windy here to give it a thorough test, but I think I'm going to like it. It's a full flex rod, but is not wimpy, with some decent backbone. And, unlike some full flex rods, there's not much residual bounce after the casting stroke, so no "secondary shock waves" are sent down the fly line.

I just sent a note to Orvis to see when it was made.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:30 pm 

Rated for IGI line places it pre 1968 or so, probably more. I bet you have been stalking E-Bay again. Post some pictures if you have time. Myself, I love the way bamboo rods look, but I generally find bamboo feels too heavy in my hand when you balance it out with an appropriately weighted reel. Then again it is said that the older you get, the more that bamboo rods suit your age. I guess I'm just a late bloomer, or maybe I'll never grow up, who knows?

My Motto.....
Walk softly and carry a big stick.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:35 am 

mickmcco wrote:
Just added another UL bamboo rod to my quiver. It is an Orvis Madison 7ft, 2pc, rated for an IGI (three weight) line. It's a bit windy here to give it a thorough test, but I think I'm going to like it. It's a full flex rod, but is not wimpy, with some decent backbone. And, unlike some full flex rods, there's not much residual bounce after the casting stroke, so no "secondary shock waves" are sent down the fly line.

I just sent a note to Orvis to see when it was made.

Greg Reynolds has the most complete Orvis Database.
You should be able to fit it in by serial number, and if your rod is not already there, send the info to Greg to update his database.
http://www.trutta.se/orvis/Orvis022511.htm

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:51 am 
Site Admin

I checked with Orvis on my rod. It was built in October of 1973. That makes it a month older than my oldest son, who turned 37.5 two days ago. It was built by Ron White (I assume, NOT the Ron White of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour). Very nice action rod that I look forward to trying out.

Thanks, Ron. It was, in fact, already in Greg's database.

Well, Jimbo, I certainly fit the "old guy" profile for bamboo rods. (Ron is just a precocious exception.) And no, I have not been combing eBay, but Clark's Classic Rod Forum (a much more dangerous place for me).

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:38 pm 

I always thought they cganged the rating from things like IGI to 3 weight before 1970. I wonder when they changed that? I bet Ron knows!
And of course I was just kidding about you fitting the "old" bamboo profile Mick. I was just waxing poetic. You're as young as you act and you get around pretty good still. If fact I know a lot of young people, less than 30, who act old. And by corrallary older people who act young like my dad. He's 90 and going out to play some golf today. He usually out there 2 or 3 times a week, triming the grass on the fairways!
Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:47 pm 

mickmcco wrote:
I have not been combing eBay, but Clark's Classic Rod Forum (a much more dangerous place for me).

did you see the Show Us your Leonards thread?

Jimbo, my Orvis Fullflex glass rod, Phillipson blank from about the same year is marked HDH or 6.