www.grtu.org

Guadalupe River Chapter of Trout Unlimited Message Board
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:33 pm 

I am working the summer at a fly shop up on the Delaware River in New York and have the opportunity to get fishing gear at a great deal, so I want to take advantage of that by getting a new bass rod. However, these people up here aren't exactly a whole lot of help--they are pretty single-minded and can't understand why I'd want to fish for anything other than wild trout.

No worries, I don't think they will be able to convert me. It's great up here, but my heart is still in the Hill Country rivers fishing for bass. And I need help looking for a new bass rod.

I've been able to cast Sage and Redington a lot, and like them both. Any other suggestions for brands to look at?

I'm thinking about getting a 6-weight or 7-weight...what do most of you use to fish? I have a 5-weight that I am happy with, and just looking for a rod to throw bigger streamers, and throw them further.

Also, I'm playing with the idea of getting a new saltwater rod as well. I've never fly fished the bays at all, but I would be looking for something to use along the Texas coast, mostly for redfish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:40 pm 

I have several rods I use for bass...in 6 wts I have a TFO 6' 6" modern glass rod that I love, and a vintage South Bend 7' 6" glass rod for creeks and smaller rivers; an 8'6" graphite Cortland Diamondback (my first flyrod) for larger water.

If I am throwing big bugs, I have a TFO Ti Cr 8wt that I prefer, that also doubles as a nice rod for redfish on the coast (and it did quite nicely a few weeks back on bonefish and small baracuda in Grand Cayman).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:44 pm 

I do most of my bass fishing on Buchanan and have 3 rods rigged all the time. All are 9' Winston Borons, my choice for bass and also salt.

B2MX 6 wt with a fighting butt (not a stock rod, they can do the butt by request). Absolute great all around rod, not too big, not too small. I fish a full sink line on it. Probably my favorite all around rod. This is also a good Texas coast rod if the wind is cooperating. Excellent bonefish rod too.

B2X 8 wt - this is *not* an MX, which is stiffer and faster. The X is a little slower and lighter than the MX , so an 8 feels like a 7. I run a floating line on this and mostly use it for poppers and lighter weight flies. Silky smooth cast - very easy for novice casters to use.

B2MX 8 wt - this is a my grenade launcher. I run a full sink on this and usually have nothing smaller than a 2 (most of time, a 2/0) rigged on it. It takes a skilled caster to throw a full sink with a 2/0 clouser on it, but man the larger fish love it.

I'd like to try the specialty bass rods at some point, but the above rigs allow me to run different sizes/weights/colors to cover the majority of conditions I find. The 6 won't throw the larger stuff I usually throw, so if I had to choose one rod for all conditions, I'd go with 8. It covers bass, reds, bones and permit.

Those are also great salt water rods too - I have 9, 10, and 12 in the B2MX. Guess you could say I am a Winston kinda guy... :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:01 pm 

I'd say selecting a Bass rod has a lot to do with where you'll be fishing and what size of Bass you expect to catch.
For many of the Cypress Tunneled rivers of the Hill country you'll want a shorter rod in the 7' to 8' range. One of my favorites is a TFO Finesse Series 7'9" 5wt. Most of the Bass I catch are less than 3lbs. and this rod is perfect!
That being said I have also used my 7 1/2' 4wt. XP for even smaller waters and fish. I also use my Sage 8' and 9' 6wts. in an XP for open waters like the Llano. Two others the Sage Smallmouth rod (7'11") for big Hair Bugs and tight quarters. My RPLXI 890 for windy conditions and Big waters.
Jimbo

Last edited by Jimbo Roberts on Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:03 pm 

You might also check out the Sage Bluegill. Its the lightest line of the Sage BASS series, but at 230 grains its really an 8wt.

~~~ ><Ǽ>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:50 pm 

Most of the bass rods are 8 weights not because of the fight of the fish, but the size of the fly and to have it turn over correctly. Now the 8 is good for blacks and stripers, but a 6 is good for guads, smalls and whites since you throw smaller flies. Whites on a 4 are a blast if the conditions are right. The shorter rods are handy when in tight cover, that is for sure, but will have more leverage making the fight easier.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:41 pm 

Thanks for all of the help everyone, I'm taking everything you said into consideration. Lots of great advice, now just need to cast as many rods as I can to find a good one. I casted the Sage Smallmouth today with a foam popper and must say that I was impressed. I didn't really know what to expect, but it was different. Easy to use though. I can definitely see where it's length will come in handy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:33 am 

kmitschke wrote:
Thanks for all of the help everyone, I'm taking everything you said into consideration. Lots of great advice, now just need to cast as many rods as I can to find a good one. I casted the Sage Smallmouth today with a foam popper and must say that I was impressed. I didn't really know what to expect, but it was different. Easy to use though. I can definitely see where it's length will come in handy.

If you liked the Sage Smallmouth, I would recommend giving the Ross Flystik a whirl in a 6 wt. I've casted both, and definitely prefer the Ross more. It's also half the price :D .

Best of luck with whatever you decide. My Flystik is easily one of my favorite rods.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:55 am 

Guess this is really off the beaten path, but I had used a 5 wt in the local rivers for quite some time. I recently started using a mid-flex 4 weight and really enjoy it for the Guadalupe's, Smallies and wide variety of "sun" fish. Of course, the large cats will test it for all it's worth.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:40 pm 

Matt Bennett wrote:

If you liked the Sage Smallmouth, I would recommend giving the Ross Flystik a whirl in a 6 wt. I've casted both, and definitely prefer the Ross more. It's also half the price :D .

Best of luck with whatever you decide. My Flystik is easily one of my favorite rods.

I'll have to give that one a try, especially at the price. I've been trying different full sinks lately and was totally in love with the Wulff line, but the finish didn't hold up well at all. Any recommendations? I've mostly used the Rio versitip, but went full sink to get a direct angle on the fish - makes a big difference on hook ups, but you have to strip nearly all the way in to recast.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:48 am 

We use Teeny 130's for most of our Hill Country fishing that calls for a sinking line. Most of that fishing is less than 5' deep. That being said if you need to fish deeper than say 6' or deeper you might go with a Scientific Angler's uniform sink lines in a type 5.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:45 pm 

Thanks Jimbo, I'll look at Teeny. For stripers, I am sometimes getting 20' deep, so a full sink of at least type 4 is needed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:00 pm 

If your taste runs towards classic glass, you could do a lot worse than a Fenwick 806.

If you prefer graphite, one of the best deals out there is the Gary Borger Targus line. They're obviously not selling because you see them discounted everywhere. I don't get it; they're great rods and come with an extra tip.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:42 pm 

I picked up a Ross Flystik from Chris at Living Waters and plan on doing some field testing this weekend. I'll post my thoughts sometime next week. From the practice casting in his parking lot it threw line with ease - I didn't even use an effort to throw 60' of line.

Of course, I'll have to full sink line rigged with a 2/0 clouser this weekend, so we'll see how it handles that.... :)