www.grtu.org

Guadalupe River Chapter of Trout Unlimited Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Caring for natural materials properly helps keep them from aging. I have all of mine in their original plastic bags, and then grouped by type in sealed plastic containers. It keeps the bugs out and retains the natural oils and moisture.

Remember the Fly Fisherman's Curse: When you die, your wife will sell your stuff for what your told her it cost.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:41 am 

LOL...nice...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:50 pm 

Have run into the same problems with the herl and using a dubbing loop usually makes it very secure, but for small flies and ones were get lazy I too using peacock dubbing, but use the ice version. Unless you look really close can not really tell the difference between it and the herl, and is really easy to work with.

Wiscoy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:49 am 

Well, I fished on Sunday and the run-off debris was a challenge, but the smaller pattern on a larger hook worked. They didn't seem to mind. I'll try it again when the water is clearer to lock in my confidence with that approach.

BTW, is there a faster way to tie a loop knot? Takes me 5x longer than the knot I'm tying....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:04 am 

For loop knots I use a long tapered pencil - one sharpened in a mechanical sharpener. I create the overhand knot and slide over the tapered end of the pencil with the crossover from the OH knot on the far side of the pencil, then put on the fly and pull the line through the OH knot on the side closest to your body the first time. Then keeping the tag end under the main tippet take four wraps before returning over the top of the tippet and back through the OH knot - this time on the opposite side of the pencil. Once complete this last step start to tighten knot to establish final size of the loop I want. Once have everything in place apply a good layer of human lubricant and slowly draw tight using the pencil as an anchor point to pull on the tippet.

It has taken me a while to get this method down and still have problems with control of the loop size from time to time, but with some practice you should find that this method works pretty well and will really cut down on the time required and provide a way to control the size of your loops.

Regards,

Wiscoy