www.grtu.org

Guadalupe River Chapter of Trout Unlimited Message Board
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:37 pm 

I'm new to tying and find my opportunities limited by my materials as well as my inexperience. I find myself wanting to find new patterns to tie after getting one down, only to find that I'm short on necessary materials. I have no problem continually sourcing new materials but the are limited options in 20 miles of home.

What's my question?

Does anyone know of a resouce listing flies that can be tied by a group of materials?

If one exist, I'm hopeful I can source a limited pile of materials, hooks, thread, etc and tie 2-3 patterns. If one doesn't exist, does anyone think this would be useful?

Join http://NewBraunfelsFlyFishers.org
on the banks of the Guadalupe River.
An IFFF charter club based in New Braunfels, Texas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:04 pm 

I don't think there is such a thing. If I understand correctly, you're looking for a reference that would tell you what flies you can tie with (for example) partridge, yellow thread, peacock herl, white antron.

If that is what you seek, I have never heard of such a reference. Of course that does not mean there is not one. Keep in mind that sometimes a pattern calls for a certain material, like elk hair, but, depending on the fly, deer hair may work just as well; or it may call for kip tail, but calf hair may be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:20 pm 

I would look at FlyTyingForum.com. They have a library of patterns and recipes along with materials needed.
Also, one of the best sources (IMHO) for fly tying is J Stockard. They have a great website and will send you a print catalog. Lots of stuff you didn't even know you needed!

Have fun.

Sue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:41 pm 

You might even buy a fly tying receipe books like: "Fly Pattrens of Umpqua Feather Merchants", "Tying Emergers" by Schollmeyer & Leeson, "Midge Magic" By Holbrook & Koch, "Barr Flys" John Barr, "A.K.'s Fly Box" & "Advanced Fly Tying" A K Best, "Emergers" Swisher & Richards, "Mayflys Top to Bottom" Stalcup, "The Soft hackled Fly Addict" Nemes, and "Caddisflies" & "The Dry Fly" Gary LaFontaine.
There is a wealth of knowledge in these books that will help with an understanding of what is needed to tie flys that fish will strike.
See I do know a little about fly tying, I just am not good at it.

Jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:30 pm 

A very good facsimile of almost any type of fly can be tied with thread and hackle. I suggest that you look up the standard types of flies and use thread and a medium grade hackle to make a very fishable version of each.

Or, in a similar vein, fine wire and some fur. Roy Christie ties nymphs and dry flies out of these two materials.

Or, you can dispense with tying altogether. Oliver Kite caught fish on a bare hook, and, where midges are present a simple red midge hook is a remarkably effective pattern.

Last edited by Alex Argyros on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:59 pm 

To heap on what others have said, I don't think any sort of cross-referenced spreadsheet exists (you could probably make one and be very popular though).

In my years of tying, I've discovred that I can get away with the following, basic essentials:
Thread in various colors (especially black, olive, tan, white, and red)
Pheasant tail
Peacock herl
Grizzly hackle
Turkey quill
Deer hair
Marabou (olive, black, orange, and white)
Chenille (big and little) in olive, brown, black, tan and red (for small chenille)
Rabbit dubbing (olive, tan, black, grey, and natural)
Flashabou (pearl, smaller size)
Krystal flash (pearl)
Copper wire (small diameter for ribbing)
Closed cell foam sheets (black, brown, tan, green)

With these materials, you can tie a wide variety of dries (comparaduns, catskill ties, caddis), emergers (mayflies, midges, and caddis), nymphs (hare's ear, pheasant tail, thread midges, stonefiles, scuds, damselflies), San Juan worms, and streamers (buggers, muddlers, marabou muddlers). And those are about all you'll need in the majority of trout fishing situations. At least, that's been my experience.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:58 am 

Not exactly what you are looking for, but a book by Larry Tullis has a chart of materials for various patterns. You can see the two page chart in sample pages 38 & 39 of the book at link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Nymphs-Tying-Fishing-Larry-Tullis/dp/1571880852/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326988228&sr=8-1-fkmr0#reader_1571880852

"None of us ever dies if the deeds we've done continue to do good in a world where trout still swim." Dave Hughes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:26 pm 

If you enjoy to see the visuals of a video to aide in your tying http://www.globalflyfisher.com has some great videos for tying (in addition to fishing videos to waste your work-day.

Once you are tying the basics you can substitute materials, tweak colors, and other stuff to create your own patterns - My Favorite way to tie.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:46 am 

FLY TYING TUTORIALS -
Go to YouTube and subscribe to some of the fly tying channels.
My three favorites
* DavieMcphail
* topflyman (David Cammiss) - great for beginners!
* UtahsFlyCorner

FLY TYING MATERIALS -
* eBay
* Hobby Lobby and/or Michaels
* Bass Pro