www.grtu.org

Guadalupe River Chapter of Trout Unlimited Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:55 am 

Truer words are not spoken Jimbo. Some things I've witnessed in the big stores: sell a customer flies with a caveat phrase like --"it should work there"; "we don't have much turnover of that material so we don't sell it"--and no offer to try to get it for you. I've gone to local fly shops and either find what I need or get an offer to have it ordered. Can't ask for more than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:13 pm 

Bill Higdon and Jake have FORGOTTEN more about fly fishing than Cabela's will ever know, and besides that, Tiffany looks a helluva lot better than those goobers. 8)

Post subject: dog
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:47 pm 

Come to think of it, I too had a dog named duke when I was a kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:43 am 

Here's my Lab and his name is not "Sage or Duke", it's "Sir Maximus Desimus Meridius" or "Max" for short, this picture was taken in Colorado, but "Sir Max" is from Giddings, Texas...he's all TEXAN :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:29 pm 

Oops..... As far as speciality Fly Shops I forgot to mention Livivng Waters up in Round Rock. It's a small shop, brand new and expanding. I met the owner Chris Johnson and talked to him for awhile. He is very knowledgable and guides on area streams/rivers. I told him about my favorite flys and had him tie some up for me when I couldn't find them anywhere. They turned out great! Thanks again Chris! Jimbo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:07 pm 

Roofish wrote:
Here's my Lab and his name is not "Sage or Duke", it's "Sir Maximus Desimus Meridius" or "Max" for short, this picture was taken in Colorado, but "Sir Max" is from Giddings, Texas...he's all TEXAN :)

Leader of the northern army of the filex flanks, husband of a murder wife, father of a murdered son, .... and I will have my vengeance in this life or the next.

You are a scholar and a gentleman good sir with great ideas. I'd like to subscribe to your thoughts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:23 pm 

Fish4Fish wrote:
Roofish wrote:

Leader of the northern army of the filex flanks, husband of a murder wife, father of a murdered son, .... and I will have my vengeance in this life or the next.

Not sure what your last sentence means?

You are a scholar and a gentleman good sir with great ideas. I'd like to subscribe to your thoughts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:59 pm 

Fish4Fish wrote:
Roofish wrote:

Gladiator was a very good movie! Probably even better than the original on which it was Based "Fall of the Roman Empire".
Jimbo

Post subject: Re: Guad Area Fly Shops
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:35 pm 

I normally don't like to go to Bass Pro because it seems that they push what the other stores around the country are pushing and not what is working in this area so when I go there it is usually a means to an end. With that being said I have found one employee in the fly shop to be extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and honest. He will tell you what is really working. He doesn't have the salesman's attitude and will even take the time to show you how to tie if you are getting stuck. He will also get the stuff you need or tell you where you can get it so you aren't wasting your time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:19 pm 

http://www.actionangler.net/

http://tackleboxoutfitters.com/

http://www.grueneoutfitters.com/

david

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:52 am 
Site Admin

Also:

http://www.sportsmansfinest.com/

http://www.livingwatersflyfishing.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:18 am 

I had a brief conversation with Jake @ Gruene Outfitters yesterday and he said that they expect to have in a new batch of trout flies early next week.

Chris at Action Angler has quite a selection of trout flies in at this time and is good about doing reorders and requests. There were a few times last season when I was running low on a certain pattern and he was able to get them into the shop very quickly.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:45 pm 

mopar340 wrote:
Bill Higdon and Jake have FORGOTTEN more about fly fishing than Cabela's will ever know, and besides that, Tiffany looks a helluva lot better than those goobers. 8)

HaHa... too funny....yet insanely true!