www.grtu.org

Guadalupe River Chapter of Trout Unlimited Message Board
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

I recently picked up three tying books that should prove to be valuable additions to my tying library. I liked to recommend them to others.

One is Barr Flies: How to Tie and Fish the Copper John, the Barr Emerger, and Dozens of Other Patterns, Variations, and Rigs by John S. Barr and Charlie Craven. John has come up with lots of innovative flies over the last few years and this books does a great job of illustrating how to tie and fish them. Another neat feature is a chapter detailing the contents of John's flyboxes.

Another "famous fly fisher ties his flies" book is Clouser's Flies: Tying And Fishing the Fly Patterns of Bob Clouser by Bob Clouser and Jay Nichols. Bob is famous for his Clouser minnow, but he has several other patterns that are nearly as good, and even those of us who've been tying "Clousers" for a long time can learn new tricks from this book. I found, for example, that Bob advocates using less bucktail and more and longer flash than most of us typically use on these flies. My favorite may be the Clouser Swimming Nymph, given close attention in this volume.

My most recent addition is Tying & Fishing Soft-Hackled Nymphs by Allen McGee. McGee carefully explains the basics of constructing a soft hackle, then provides pages and pages of large, color photos of the many variations on the theme. Several chapter are also devoted to techniques for fishing these flies.

Read and enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:19 pm 

I have been heartily enjoying my copy of Barr Flies! Thanks for the reccomendations on the other books.

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:51 pm 

I agree, John Barr's Fly tying book is amazing! Jimbo