Fly tying for a beginner

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

bearbear1961

Fly tying for a beginner

Post by bearbear1961 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:17 pm

I bought a kit at Cabela's...but I am not sure where to begin. What is your advice? Where can I locate classes in the New Braunfels area? Anyone want to coach a newbie?

Thanks!

Thom

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:57 am

There's a great online starter set of lessons for fly-tying at www.flyanglersonline.com. Click on "Fly Tying", the on "Beginning Tying" for a set of 20 lessons that'll get you started.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:47 pm

I got started a few years back by buying a fly tying kit at bass pro that came with a lefty kreh tying video, It helped me getting started, along with a few books and searching the net looking for fly tying steps. I tie alot of saltwater patterns but general knowledge of tying flies can be used on any fly you want to tie. One of the books I bought is "Tying and Fishing the Patterns of Bob Clouser", its a pretty good book he talks about how to select materials when buying them along with step by step instructions on how to tie some of his flies. A good video to get would be ''Borski Ties Flies''

Start off by tying on bigger hooks such as a no. 4 or 6. then work your way smaller. Tying flies on a size 24 is much more difficult that trying to learn on a size 4 or 2. And dont buy expensive hooks untill you get better. Keep all your flies in a box so you can always look back at them in the future to see how much you have progressed. And hang onto that first fly you ever tied, you will be happy you did 10 years down the road.

And dont get pissed off when you mess up, its going to take some time to get used to everything. The best advice I can give to you is to set up an area in your house dedicated to tying and TIE EVERY DAY.

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:13 pm

When I started, it was recommended that I pick up a copy of Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple by Skip Morris. I did, and the rest is history. I think it is a great beginner guide and teaches the different tying techniques easily with lots of pictures and instructions. From there, you can move on to more complicated patterns just by looking at a fly because you will be able to see the basic techniques that were used on the fly and understand how it was built.
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:10 am

That was my first tying book, too. I still refer back to it now, ten years later. One of the best starter books.
Mickfly

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:39 pm

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... 07633&x=54
ISBN 0828907633
search by the title and author turned up several priced at $4-5

cheap, cheap

set up as a fly tying tutorial with a good index of patterns.
Ron Mc

UTEX72

Flies and Tying

Post by UTEX72 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:11 pm

Thanks for the book tip Ron Mc; I was able to pick one up for $4.00.

-----
HS

Frogcatcher

Post by Frogcatcher » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:58 am

I was going to start my own thread, but saw this one, some good insights already. i want to get started tying flies...

what equipment/materials should i buy - is there a good "kit"?

i'm from Austin and typically fish the guad and do a fair amount of streamer fishing for bass - i'd want to be able to tie the basics - woolly bugger, prince nymph, egg, clouser, etc

thanks.

gneubauer

Post by gneubauer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:03 am

We are going to have some of the best in business Rob Woodruff & Doc Thompson putting on a fly tying clinic after Saturday's general meeting. Cost is $10. They can provide information on both of your questions.

-greg
GRTU Chapter President

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:54 pm

I'd still recommend the Fly Anglers Online Beginning Fly Tying site as a good general reference. Stay away from kits, they are usually substandard in quality and have you buy stuff you don't need.

Basic tools:
Rotary vise, like a Danvise or Renzetti Traveler
A bobbin or two to hold the spools of thread
Bobbin threader
Two pairs of scissors -- one nice pair for fine work and another for cutting wire, etc.
Whip finishing tool
Hackle pliers
Head cement
Thread -- size and color to fit the flies you tie.

Supplies:

Woolly Bugger -- streamer hooks (Tiemco 5263), 6/0 or 3/0 thread, marabou, chenille, fine wire, beadheads, krystal flash or flashabou, hackle in colors you desire
Prince -- medium shank nymph hook (Tiemco 3769) , black 8/0 thread, white and black or brown goose biots, beadhead, peacock herl, fine wire, brown hackle
Clouser -- short shank hook (Mustad 3366) or saltwater hook (Tiemco 811s), bucktail in colors desired, 3/0 thread, bead chain or dumbbell for eyes, flash
Egg -- egg hook (Tiemco 105) or scud hook (TMC 2457), 3/0 thread, egg yarn or McFlyfoam.

That'll get you started, anyway.
Mickfly