Your tying area...

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

gstrand

Your tying area...

Post by gstrand » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:30 am

Mick sent some pics of what I am officially dubbing the "Presidential Suite" and it got me thinking.

My tying area has to be um, "contained and closeable" to preserve domestic harmony. Mick has dedicated real-estate. Where do you tie?

Here is my measely little desk...

Here is Mick's Presidential Suite:

jamespelland

Post by jamespelland » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:19 am

I've seen Mick's tying area and I believe he took out a second mortgage for it. What you don't see is he has his own kitchen in there so he never has to leave!

If you have the pedestal stand for that HMH you can tie anywhere! I tied a bunch of #20 bwo thorax's on the way from Missoula to Bozeman one time (no, I wasn't driving). Pick a pattern, gather the materials, and plop down to watch your favorite college football game and not feel so guilty about losing 3hrs! And no big clutter because you only have a few things out.

A couple helpful things. Dave Whitlock will keep everything for a specific pattern in a ziplock bag. Now that can obviously mean a lot of ziplock bags and owning redundant materials, hooks, etc, but it's a good idea for patterns you tie a lot of.

I keep like materials together in ziplock bags -- antrons in one bag, dubbings in another bag, foam in another bag, cheniles, etc, 2x nymph hooks in one bag, 3&4x streamer hooks in another bag, dry fly hooks in another bag, hooks for tiny nymphs in another bag. I stuff all this stuff in a couple drawers, and it's easy to pack when traveling.

gstrand

Post by gstrand » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:24 am

I do have a pedestal for that vise. Love HMH's. I also have a pedestal Spartan that my 14 year old uses. I've been through a truckload of vises, and landed on the HMH. Never looked back.

mickmcco

Post by mickmcco » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:26 am

Don't forget the bathroom and shower, James.

For a great look at how a master organizes his tying area, see Dave Whitlock's article on his tying desk in the Fall 2005 issue of Flyfishing and Tying Journal.

preast

Post by preast » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:22 pm

As if the tying stuff isn't enough, how many rods do you own anyway Mick?

gstrand

Post by gstrand » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:48 pm

I promised not to post those pictures. Being new here, I don't want the fearless leader PO'd at me, so I'll honor that, but HOLY MACKEREL! :shock:
Last edited by gstrand on Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mickmcco

Post by mickmcco » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:48 pm

I have always found it prudent never to actually know how many rods I have, so when cross-examined by my toughest questioner (three guesses who that might be) I can honestly say I do not know. Anyway, it's a fluid number that waxes and wanes as my "needs" and interests change. I buy some, sell some, pass some along to family members (an excellent strategy if they still live with you, since that still gives you access to them but opens up a hole on the rod rack).

My big mistake was getting those rod racks in the first place. When the rods were all stuffed in a corner of the closet, they were much harder to count. But in the racks, even someone with minimal mathematical sophistication could do the multiplication (and my spouse happens to be quite a gifted numbers person). "You have HOW MANY rods?" is roughly what she said. (Given the Forum guidelines regarding language, that's about as close as I can translate.)

I'm thinking of finding a paint that matches the walls in my tying room and painting all the rod tubes that color, so they blend in. Kind of an interior camouflage strategy.

Actually, my wife and I have worked out a wary truce over the years. She doesn't ask me how many rods I have or what I spend on gear and I don't ask her how much she spends on clothes or art. It may not be the best approach to family financial planning, but it keeps my limbs intact.

gstrand

Post by gstrand » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:50 pm

Sounds like a deal, as long as there are fish in the art...

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:12 pm

I've seen Mick's corner and it looks like he took some time to organize it and put things away before he took his pictures. I must say it's an impressive collection! Jimbo

gneubauer

Post by gneubauer » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:40 pm

Well it's not Mick's place but it does the trick.

-greg

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:17 pm

can't see mine for the cigar smoke
Ron Mc

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:39 pm

I have a seperate room in my garage that has AC and alot of table area that has wooked great for my addiction to tying flies. I tie alot of saltwater patterns and have devoloped quite a few that work really good in the matagorda bay complex. This past week however I have been tying alot of nymphs and midges to get ready for this upcomming trout season!!!
There is nothing like making that perfect cast to a tailing red and watching him devour your fly and take off like a freight train!!!!

Wait... Setting the hook and watching a bow take air, that might be better!!!!

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:48 pm

Nice picture, Alan, but way too organized and clean for me. I couldn't work there for fear I would mess it up. In fact, I sometimes set up a card table to tie on because I don't have the fortitude to clean my prime tying space enough to use it.

Maybe you could give me some pointers.

Mick
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:19 pm

haha, it is usually REALLY messy!!! I took that picture after I cleaned it all up one day.
There is nothing like making that perfect cast to a tailing red and watching him devour your fly and take off like a freight train!!!!

Wait... Setting the hook and watching a bow take air, that might be better!!!!

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:53 am

Here's mine, a converted computer armoir...

And an action shot with my supervisor...
Mark Dillow