White Bass

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Jimbo Roberts

Re: White Bass

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon May 22, 2017 9:35 pm

If you're going for different species and live close to Houston, you should go over to Sabine Lake and try for a Yellow Bass, true cousin to the White Bass you just caught. Good Luck !

Jimbo

Ulygun

Post by Ulygun » Tue May 23, 2017 11:44 am

@Jimbo,

Thanks for the info mate, much appreciated. I was planning on hitting the same location and chucking some nasty ones at the stripers this weekend, may be a trip to Sabine Lake isn't half bad of an idea!

Cheers.....

Cassio

Post by Cassio » Wed May 24, 2017 2:58 pm

Caught a couple of white bass on the Guad near horseshoe falls. Having fun with streamers.

joeljharvey

Post by joeljharvey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:37 am

The Redbuds are blooming, which means the White Bass should be running soon. Although low flows might impact the timing/quality of the run.

Has anyone heard if they've started show up anywhere?

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:00 pm

Texas kayak fisherman and corpusfishing are reporting them on both sides of Lake Corpus Christi.
A few staging fish are being caught above Canyon in deeper water.
This rain could kick a good run.
Ron Mc

Cassio

Post by Cassio » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:47 am

I've yet to fish the white bass run. From San Antonio what would be rivers where they may run nearby.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:33 pm

The first will be south to Choke Canyon, and it's probably going hot right now
Over the next few weeks, above Canyon (Rebecca's Creek crossing) above Medina (English crossing)
The San Gabriel has some great ones that can be worth the drive - Tejas Camp, Circleville
The Llano above Lake LBJ
Above Buchannan - Colorado Bend SP
pm me your e-mail and I'll send you the pdf of the power point I gave to Alamo Fly Fishers a couple of times

TPWD stocked white bass at Flat Rock Dam (Kerrville) about 5 years ago, now they're all over the upper Guadalupe and in that cold water, that run is really late - you can catch them below Ingram Dam, Kerrville SP, below Flat Rock Dam (great wading), and any waterfalls. pinch-points downriver.

ps - white bass are the perfect meat-fishing opportunity. Don't feel bad about filleting these fish, or even taking your limit (if you want to fillet into the night).
White bass are fecund and have proved impossible to eradicate even where they wanted to. The females lay up to a half-million eggs. The fish normally live 3 years.
My personal rule, I only keep the 2-y-o males, but catch-and-release with these fish just isn't needed.

Filleting 25 of these fish in the dark is where I got good at filleting fish
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:27 am

I know where that little waterfall is located.
That was some good fishing down there.
I remember staying a little longer than the rest of the group and getting caught in the rain.
Good Times !

Jimbo

Cassio

Post by Cassio » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:02 pm

Thank you for the info Ron! I sent you a PM with my email.

judprince96

Post by judprince96 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:14 am

They are still going strong on the nueces upstream from George West as of Tuesday. Lots of 150+ fish days. Caught first limits 12/31/17. No Bank access. Lot of kayaks though. Flow is low and they say about an hour paddle.live Oak county ramp 2 miles north of GW near the airport. The llano above lbj is getting into full swing and is accessible from the slab. Upper guad is holding some fish too up from Rebecca ramp. I tie up size 10 clousers with small bead chain. Works well.