Fly Tying Hacks

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

txcoastie57

Fly Tying Hacks

Post by txcoastie57 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:15 pm

What's your fly tying HACK?

Sometimes it's interesting what a fellow tyer uses as tools and or materials.

My hack is head cement. I have been using Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish (Gloss Finish) for about a year. It is milky white but dries clear and hard. It's water based and I have never had a problem with it in fresh or salt water. The best thing about it, is the price. Around $10 for 8 oz. I figure it is a life time supply. Even if you're under 40.

Cassio

Re: Fly Tying Hacks

Post by Cassio » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:56 pm

I'm posting here in the hopes this thread gets going. As a novice tier I'm sure this could be very helpful.

One "hack" I have is using materials found at the local grocery or arts/craft store. Many times these are a fraction of the cost of ones actually meant for fly tying.

Glass beads: These can be found at Michaels or hobby lobby. I fish with heavy split shot and often weightless nymphs so subbing glass beads for typical metal beads works and looks great. They also come in a variety of colors. I also use glass beads when I tie articulated streamers.

Pom Pom balls: these can be found at most craft stores too. A little glue and you can whip up all the egg patterns you need for the season in one seating.

Mop Flies: HEB sells these silly mop slippers in a variety of colors. I now have enough mop fly material to last me a lifetime.

Hackle feathers: Keep an eye out, sometimes in the jewelry section of craft stores you can find nice quality feathers for a fraction of what fly shop will charge.

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:29 am

Not a hack exactly, but a way to save a lot of money and to catch more fish: use hen hackle or partridge on dry flies.

rkyslone

Post by rkyslone » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 am

One thing that has saved me a lot of frustration and time over the years is the Beadmaster tool. Has a magnetic tip on top and bottom can pick up beads from 1/16", 5/32", 1/8", 7/64", 3/32" and 5/64" so you can thread the hook through it. $20 but worth every penny.

http://www.feather-craft.com/beadmaster