Flies??

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

RayB

Flies??

Post by RayB » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:27 pm

I subscribe to Fly Fishing Magazine. I was reading an article about dropper set ups and realized he was speaking Greek. Is there a book that can help an old fat guy new to fly fishing identify the flies he was talking about? :oops:
Thanks

Alex Argyros

Re: Flies??

Post by Alex Argyros » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:28 pm

What were the flies? Did you try googlng them?

Also, although rusty, my Greek is still acceptable. So, if you wish, I can translate for you.
Last edited by Alex Argyros on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sgbaker

Post by sgbaker » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:46 pm

These are not books but, in my opinion, excellent DVD's available on NetFlix: 1:Nymphing by the Numbers and 2: High Sticking &reading water with Kelly Galloup. These will explain split-shot rigs. If you are interested in flies I would suggest searching by the fly name on YouTube; there a tying videos for most flies. For Guadalupe River specific flies, you need go no further than this website; some excellent tiers have photos posted.
Baker,
So much to learn, so little time

RayB

Post by RayB » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:43 pm

I'm old, never thought about google.
How about WD40 (I know about the spray) Blue wing olive, pale morning dun, green drake or red quill.
Maybe a Catskil type dry.

Danny S

Post by Danny S » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:46 am

Good one Alex!

Ray B: I sent you a PM.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:54 am

You wanted to know what a WD40 looked like.
I'll get you started.....
This is one of my favorite flys. They imitate the smaller mayflys; BWO, Tricos and the like. This one is actually called a sparkle WD40 for obvious reasons in a sizes 18 and 20.

Now if you want to imitate smaller caddis nymphs you might want to look at something like the green or tan caddis.....
These are in a size 18.

From there you can chose from thousands of patterns that imitate all sorts of insects. Each can work to imitate is specific nymphs, emergers, and adults. You can get a little tackle crazy like me carrying 100's a patterns, but you can also stick to the basics with just 10 or 20 patterns and probably do almost as well. As Alex mentioned google is your friend, just type in the name of a fly and up will pop several pictures of what you are looking for.
Good Luck!

Jimbo

RayB

Post by RayB » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:35 am

Thanks all. :P

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:53 pm

Ray,

You may also want to check the websites of prominent fly shops, like Orvis, Feather-Craft, Bob Marriott's, or The Fly Shop (based in Redding, CA). Since they sell a large variety of flies, they'll often have really good pictures of each one they sell, and will sometimes (for Orvis and The Fly Shop, at least) have lists of tying materials needed for each fly.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

trucha grande

Post by trucha grande » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:27 pm

I like going to midcurrent for my fkies, the videos are excellent.