"New to Me" Magic

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Jimbo Roberts

"New to Me" Magic

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:23 pm

It was a little late, but about 1pm I decided to go wet a line.
I have this "new to me" flyrod, a Sage LL 279. I bought to do some lightweight dryfly fishing for Cutthroats this summer, but it was just begging me to take her for a spin. So this afternoon I put it in the truck, along with a few of it's buddies, and headed to the Guadalupe.

Driving up I was thinking about which spot would be the best to have something give it a little tug. I decided that I would head to River Bluff and check things out. I pulled into Doc's place and geared up quickly. I strung up this little rod and walked across the road to the riverbank. It's really just about as perfect as you can get and still have been owned and fished by somebody else.
The blank is without a scratch.

I checked the water temps and it was not good for the Trout there......
It's hard to read but that's showing 75 degrees at 2pm. So I would not be fishing for Trout here.
I would prowl the banks and look for Perch and maybe a Bass or two. It was going to work out perfectly.

I wanted to fish the backside of the first island. So I waded across the river and down around the bottom of the first island.....
Then I would go up the backside.....
Back here the water is slow, murky, and warm. A great spot to find early spawning Perch.
I started with a couple of small nymphs and a twist-on indicator.....
Yeap that works just fine.

I stood there catching Perch after Perch. I must have caught 20 in the first little pocket. The 279 was performing marvelously.
I even spotted a little Bass cruising down the shoreline.
I put the nymphs out in front and just like he read the script swam down there and picked one up.....

A little further up the backside while still using a double nymph rig, I got lucky and doubled up.....
At first I thought that I had finally hooked one of those Jumbo's that's closer to 10", but that was not going to happen today.
I caught too many Perch to accurately count. What I lacked in quality I was making up in quantity

I finally left the back channel and continued on up fishing the deepest trough next to the bank here.
It's really hard to see here because the mud was stirred up.
There were several other anglers and kayakers using the river here too and the water was flat murky.
First tug was another Perch.....
A little better size than what I'd been catching. Maybe back here I would finally find a Jumbo.

A couple of casts later the flys landed perfectly just inside the wall of the trough. The flys began to settle down in the water. The line felt heavy. I lifted the rod a little and something had the fly. I set the hook. For a second it didn't move. And just when I was beginning to think I set the hook on a root, it bolted upstream. This was something else. The rod was sporting a deep bend as the fish peeled the line off the reel. I was hoping to stop it before it ran past the stump up at the head of the trough. I was lucky and it did. It turned and ran back downstream at me. I was cranking like a mad man and just barely keeping tight. It ran past my feet and for the first time I got a look at it. It was a Black Bass and a pretty good one at that. Before it entered the backside of the island it turned around again and ran back upstream. I was able to stop it just 20' or so above me. I was glad I was carrying my net which I don't normally do if I'm just Perch fishing. I was able to pull it back towards me now, it was tiring. I grabbed the net handle and got ready. It must have seen the net or it's shadow because it found new energy and made another run upstream. When it stopped this time I was able to pull the fish back towards me much more easily.

This was it, now or never.....
I scooped and there it was in the bottom of my net......
I don't normally catch many Bass over about 1 1/2lbs in the Guadalupe. Usually they are the little guys in the 8-12" range.
This thing had a belly. And I had done it with my "new to me" 2wt. 5X and a #14 Daves Red Squirrel.....
Check this baby out, it's at least 19-20" maybe more and 4lbs easy......
I am beginning to believe this little rod has some magic in it.

I could have easily lost this fish a dozen ways and yet I landed it here among the rocks and the roots in this water. Well then, I'm thinking my plans to move and head upstream several miles to look for Trout in the cold water are officially scrapped. I knew there was some more good water down between the second and third island and below down beside the big gravel bar.
More good ones.....
Down here I was having a few fish come up and hit the strike indicator. So time to take that off and put on a little foam hopper.....
Perfect !!!!.........

I caught a bunch on the hopper. I had some of the smaller ones hit it and bounce it around on the surface having mouths to small to get the foam hopper and it's #8 hook inside. No problem I was approaching a 100 anyway. On down to the big gravel bar and fish the shoreline eddies and brush piles.....
Works great here too.....
Longears.....
Redbreast.....
Behind this branch in the water......
A nice Green Sunfish.....

It was about 6pm now and I decided 101 was enough.....
I was dragging the hopper behind me as I waded across the river to the house side when 102 hit.....

It was a wonderful day of catching. The 279 LL is going to be a great addition to my rod collection.
Next stop for the 279 will be a secret Cutthroat creek high in southern Colorado. I hope to use some of it's magic there too.

Jimbo

Jimbo Roberts

Re: "New to Me" Magic

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri May 09, 2014 1:38 pm

I must be on a lucky streak lately.
I went fishing a few hours Tuesday afternoon. I fished in the upper river and caught just about everything, Perch, Bass and Trout.
On the way back downstream I started swinging a big streamer. I had a solid hit. This fish pulled harder than any of the larger Trout I had caught that day.
I was hoping for an even larger Rainbow, but it wasn't.....

First time I saw it I knew it was a Bass.
I thought it was a smallmouth at first, but it turned out to have a tooth patch, so it was Guadalupe.....
Another large Guadalupe Bass about 16" and I say about 2 3/4lbs or so.
This is the second large Guadalupe Bass I have caught this year and both pushing 3lbs.
At least the Guadalupes seem to be doing well in these low flows.

Jimbo

Stephen P
Site Admin

Re: "New to Me" Magic

Post by Stephen P » Sat May 10, 2014 10:51 pm

Awesome fishing. I need to hire a detective to follow you around and take notes!
GRTU Information Technology Chairman/Webmaster
TU Life Member