Home Water

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

ucbamboorodmaker

Home Water

Post by ucbamboorodmaker » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:17 pm

Since the forum is slow I thought I would share some photos of a spot I can go to and be fishing in 15 to 20 minutes. That includes getting ready because the drive is about 5 minutes. I call it home water because going fishing for a couple hours isn't a problem. Was wondering what others Home Water might look like.

This is one of my favorite little pools. I actually used to skip it until one day I heard a splash so I watched it from the other side of the bushes on the right and saw three bass chasing each other.

This little fella is one of the pool residents. I like to fish the smaller rods here, and this one is a 6 foot 4wt.

This one is from the next pool up, and the rod is a 5 foot 10 inch Penta (five strip rod)

Here is a Rio from the first pool.

My middle son with a bass on a PHY midge.

Some areas open up a bit so we take a canoe when we fish those. Those aren't spur of the moment trips, but certainly a lot of fun.

Some mornings it's almost a magical place.

I'm sure you have a place you call home water also. Got any pictures ?

Floyd

becpa

Re: Home Water

Post by becpa » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:49 pm

This my favorite place on the Llano River. I call it the "Best 25 Yards in Texas".

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:55 am

I like them with cypress tunnels

Floyd, glad to see you and your boys out fishing.
Ron Mc

ucbamboorodmaker

Post by ucbamboorodmaker » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:23 am

Hey Ron,

boys don't get out as much as they used to, but I can still coax them from there hectic daily lives on occasion. It's just a matter of time though before they settle down. I used to think I had to go 100 miles an hour all the time too.

Love the cypress tunnels. I can feel the cool breeze come through there sitting here.

Here is another really close spot that's good when I only have a couple morning hours.

On this trip the bass were jumping completely out of the water to catch Dragonflies in the air. Off to the right is some brush and bouncing a fly off a log would cause an explosion. This is canoe or pontoon water.

becpa that's a nice looking rod. I was trying to read the writing on it.

Floyd

becpa

Post by becpa » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:24 pm

Both rods are Tim Zietak reproduction Leonard 48 7' 3/2, # 4.

It is a perfect Hill Country rod.

Bill

ucbamboorodmaker

Post by ucbamboorodmaker » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:53 pm

Howdy Bill,

I have a lot of tapers collected, but not that one. I'm wondering how it might compare to the Paul Young Driggs River which is 7' 2" 2 piece rod. I have most of the books on rod making, and none show that taper. Even a very old Leonard catalog and it doesn't have it listed either, only the 48DF. I'm going to see if anyone on the rodmakers list might have and be willing to share those numbers. According to the catalog the 48DF is a fast dry fly rod. I'm wondering what the difference might be between a 48 and 48DF. You got me going now.

Floyd

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:51 am

I'm not familiar with the Leonard taper, but have a Mike Brooks version of the Young Driggs River that is my favorite bamboo rod. He made it with two tips, a 4/5 and a 5/6, so he calls it a 4/5/6. There is a noticeable difference in how the two cast, but my favorite is the 4/5 with a 5 wt line.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:46 am

I fished Floyd's Driggs river one day
here's the man
and it has been two years since we fished - we need to fix that.

I suspect both Leonard tapers are progressive rods with an extra-fine tip on the DF - educated guess.
Mick, here's something you might want to see - any time Michael sells something, it's a good deal.
http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... 97&t=69980
Ron Mc

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:34 am

Thanks, Ron. You know my weaknesses. Turns out I have a three piece version of that rod, made by Rob Hoffhines of Chicago. And I just picked up a couple of custom rods Malcolm Duke (Lyons Rod Co, Bradford protege) built for me (7.5 ft, 2 pc, 2 tip, 5 wt, based on a Bradford/Payne M.101 taper), so my bamboo account is depleted for now.
Mickfly

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:56 pm

From what I have read Payne made some of the most consistent actions and feel rod to rod of all the bamboo makers.
Of course you know me faster and farther, yet I just purchased a Sage LL 4711 graphite III. I do have a modest collection of softer slower action rods, and I will get to use some in a couple of weeks. I'm going back to Pagosa for a week.

Jimbo

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:01 am

Jimbo, you dog you!
Mickfly

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:13 pm

Woof..... woof, woof !

Jimbo