Fly Swap!

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

judsondeancole

Re: Fly Swap!

Post by judsondeancole » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:07 pm

got my flies! they all look great, some very productive patterns!

jolague

Post by jolague » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:14 pm

i got my flies. thanks to everyone and especially you john for thinking about doing this. next time i will include the receipt.

dakusg

Post by dakusg » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:25 pm

I also received my flies in the mail today. Kudos to all those involved with a special shout out to John for coordinating. I'm ready for another swap. My input as to lessons learned from this last swap include the following:

- Refine the type of fly to be tied. Seems like we had multiple midges. Not a bad thing, as they will surely catch fish, just saying.
- Include recipe for flies (myself included)
- Send a buck or two to cover shipping back. The coordinator shouldn't be responsible for footing the shipping tab.

Other thoughts???

TugAddict

Post by TugAddict » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:56 pm

Great news glad you liked them. I agree, we need to pre pay postage and have envelopes includued and ready to go. Support material for the flies was great, however i did forget to include my own. I would also suggest using a fly box of your choosong to send your flies in and have the new flies returned to you in. I just mooched boxes from a friend at a loca flyl shop to try and keep them safe.

personaly i really enjoyed setting this up and would gladly be the flymaster again. with continued support and improved ideas we can get really good at this.
I'm thinking i would like to try another Mercer patter the Gold Bead Poxyback Green Drake Nymph.

Again I had a nice time and look forward to the next one. Who's In?
The Tug Is The Drug,

JWK

kphelps.tx

Post by kphelps.tx » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:22 am

I got mine yesterday, they look great. It was fun and you can count me in for next time. Thanks for putting it together John.
Keith

jolague

Post by jolague » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:48 am

john is sounds like you are ready to do this again. count me in.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:30 pm

Did you take any pictures of the flys tied?
Jimbo

TugAddict

Post by TugAddict » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:54 pm

Jimbo, I'll be honest, I didn't even try. In the past any pictures of my flies I took were just poor. There is definitely a nack to taking pics of tiny flies. I should have tried though and will next time. You will be able to see and bid on the actual fliies at trout fest.

JWK
The Tug Is The Drug,

JWK

hanley

Post by hanley » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:01 pm

My batch of flies arrived in today's mail. Outstanding work by everybody, I can't wait to put them to work. Thanks to all and a special thanks to our flymaster. Count me in for the next fly swap.
Bob H.

flatfishcharlie

Post by flatfishcharlie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:04 pm

Hello all.
JWK invited me to tie in his swap, and while tying tiny trout flies isn't exactly what I am accustomed to, I welcomed the challenge and did my best not to embarass myself. Mine was the only dry fly in the swap. Hopefully my submission will find it's way to the business end of your lines at some point.
As I mentioned, trout flies are new to me, and I welcome any comments or suggestions you my have to offer. I look forward to the next swap, I have already agreed to participate.

Charlie

TugAddict

Post by TugAddict » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:11 pm

Welcome Charlie. :shock: Glad to see you made it in the group. Now we just have to complete the assimilation to trout angler. I'm glad you made the crossover.

JWK
The Tug Is The Drug,

JWK

jolague

Post by jolague » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:30 pm

charlie, the dry fly was my favorite and i would like to learn to tie it, but i don't know the name of your fly. the closest i could come to it was the black gnat. great job.

flatfishcharlie

Post by flatfishcharlie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:00 am

Thanks, I joined JWK a few weeks ago to fish the guadalupe, we saw trout rising to eat fairly large yellow whatevers... :oops: . The fly I tied basically started as an adams variation, using yellows, and materials I had on hand. I used floss, rather than dubbing.

TugAddict

Post by TugAddict » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:47 am

Charlie,the "Yellow Whatevers" are Hexaginia. I know you perfer shrimp or mullett over mayflies but you'll adjust.
The Tug Is The Drug,

JWK

flatfishcharlie

Post by flatfishcharlie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:07 am

I was looking at a nymph pattern in a book I bought recently. I forget the name of it, but it was butt ugly :roll: . It looked like it would be fun to tie, think I will give one a try, and possibly post a pic for comments.