What's In Your Fly Box for Guadalupe River Trout?

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

mickmcco
Site Admin

What's In Your Fly Box for Guadalupe River Trout?

Post by mickmcco » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:52 am

A couple of seasons ago, we asked several chapter members and friends of the chapter for their favorite flies for the Guadalupe River below Canyon Dam. Here’s what they suggested:

Karen Gebhardt
, Education Committee Chair, "Trout in the Classroom" Coordinator, GRTU Women on the River

Karen is an intrepid angler who probably logs more hours on the river than most of us, while maintaining a busy schedule as wife, mother, and church and civic volunteer. She recommends the following:

• Light Cahills, size 16-22.
• Blue Winged Olives, size 16-22
• Pale Morning Duns, size 16-22
• Prince nymph, red wrap at eye
• Flashback Hare’s Ear nymph, size 14
• Pheasant Tail nymph

The longer the season the smaller the fly

Kevin Stubbs
, Expedition Outfitters, www.expedition-outfitters.net

Kevin guides on Hill Country rivers, and is a generous provider of raffle items for the chapter. He suggests these flies:

• Beadhead Prince nymph, size 16 or 18
• Beadhead Pheasant Tail, 16 or 18
• Beadhead Zug Bug, 16 or 18
• Stonefly nymph, 8 or 10
• Olive beadhead woolly bugger, 10 or 12
• Black beadhead woolly bugger, 10 or 12

Go smaller if the water is clear.

Jimbo Roberts
, Board Member

Jimbo has fished the Guadalupe since before the dam was built and says he carries a 25 pound vest on the river, but would start with these flies:

• Woolly Bugger
• Prince nymph
• Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear nymph
• Midge
• Elk Hair Caddis
• Trico Spinner

Mick McCorcle
, Chapter President

Mick is not a guide but a psychologist, so he can tell you how it feels when you don’t catch fish. He says his Guadalupe flybox is different now than it was prior to the 2002 flood. What worked best for him last season were double nymph rigs under a strike indicator, with the following flies:

Attractors:

• Chartreuse Egg, size 10
• Copper John, Bronze or Lime, size 12 or 14
• Beadhead Gold Ribbed Hare’s Ear, size 14
• Beadhead Crackleback, size 12 or 14, body color yellow or green
• Soft hackle, orange or chartreuse body on dark days, olive or peacock on sunny days (with or without beads)

Droppers:

• Red Glass Bead Annelid, size 20 Gold hook
• Lime and Black Brassy Zebra, same hook
• RS-2 in olive or gray, size 18-22
• Flashback pheasant tail, size 18-20
• Black midge pupa, size 20

Hope these ideas help. Now chime in with your own favorites.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

JCarp116

Post by JCarp116 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:00 pm

well i know this original post is over 2 years old but for myself and you other rooks on the guad its a fantastic topic...so come on and chime in

texasmr2

Post by texasmr2 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:16 am

Great thread!! :D

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:49 am

My updated list should include:

Dave's Red Fox Squirrel Hair Nymph
Red Copper John
Kyle's Nymph
Zebra Midge Emerger
RS2 (Grey, Black, Olive)
Pheasant Tail Soft hackle
Stimulator
CDC Caddis

There's 8 to grow on
Merry Christmas
Jimbo

texasmr2

Post by texasmr2 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:04 am

Quick question ok? Are these pattern's available at Bass Pro since I work there or do I need to get them from a fly shop? I printed the list that mickmcco listed to take too work with me but am I wasting my time?

Thanks,
Gregg

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:53 am

Gregg:

It depends how big the fly inventory is at your Bass Pro. The majority of the flies listed should be available at most fly shops. A few, like the crackleback and brassy zebra, are local ties that you may need to learn to tie yourself or get from someone who does.

If you don't have them at Bass Pro, try the local shops around the river. If they don't have what you need (and they'll have probably 90% of what are on these lists,) try an internet shop known for a big fly selection, like The Fly Shop (Redding, CA), Bob Marriott's (also CA), or Dan Bailey's in Montana.
Mickfly

texasmr2

Post by texasmr2 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:51 am

mick,
Bass Pro has quite a large selection of fly's so maybe I will get lucky. I'm gonna drop by there tonight with my list and I will report back as to what I found.

Gregg

JessFields

Post by JessFields » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:34 pm

texasmr2 wrote:mick,
Bass Pro has quite a large selection of fly's so maybe I will get lucky. I'm gonna drop by there tonight with my list and I will report back as to what I found.

Gregg
Support the local shops - in Houston, it's iFly The Angler's Edge across a parking lot from the Galleria Barnes and Noble, on Westheimer.

I also heavily patronize Orvis, which has shops both on Westheimer in the Galleria area (about a mile and a half past 610) and in the Woodlands. Marcus, who works in the Westheimer shop, is one of the most helpful guys around.

Near the Guad itself, I always run by Gruene Outfitters in the old town Gruene part of New Braunfels. Tiffany and Judge are extremely helpful, just ask about flies or anything.

Just found out about Action Angler, which is actually next to the river under the 3rd crossing. You'll see the sign and then look up the hill, it's way up there. Chris is a nice guy with a great selection of Guadalupe-specific stuff (and, let me assure you, his prices are better than most big places, including Cabela's. I checked because yesterday I was at both action Angler and later, Cabela's...).

-Jess.

texasmr2

Post by texasmr2 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:29 pm

I'm all for supporting the local shop's but as I have mentioned I work at Bass Pro so my 40% discount is alittle hard to pass up especially since money will be real tight during school. Also those shops are not in my area but dont get me wrong they will most likely have the fly's and or gear Bass Pro does not and will get my business that way atleast for the time being.

Jimbo Roberts

Re: What's In Your Fly Box for Guadalupe River Trout?

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:15 am

Most of the 2009-2010 season saw higher flows and I generally used larger flys than most with great success. This 2010-2011 season is starting off with lower flows and will require a different approach than last year.
Most successful approach in these lower flows will require a return to long leaders, minimal weight, and small flys. I usually don't use these methods unless absolutely necessary and I believe to regularly catch them this year it will be necessary. Their should also be some dryfly action this year with the surface generally closer to the bottom in many traditional holding areas.
As far as fly selection I expect that the largest flys I will generally use will be #14s or #16s and many of my trailers will be #18-24s.
I will be using the old standards: Princes, Hare's Ear, Eggs, Evil Weevils, midglings, WD40's, soft hackles, Brassies, and midge larva and pupa. For drys I will be using attactors like: Stimulators, Para Wulffs, and Wilcox Specials and traditional imitations: Parachute Adams, Elk Hair and CDC Caddis, Spinners, and Compara Duns.
I hope this helps.
Jimbo

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:36 pm

Pay close attention to Jimbo's advice. He spends more hours (and more productive hours) on the river than just about anyone I know. That's especially noteworthy because Jimbo's alarm clock can be set no earlier than about 9 AM. :lol:
Mickfly

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:49 pm

Not True !!!
When I set the alarm for times earlier than 9am, I do wake up.
It's just I don't often stay awake long and often have to purchase a new clock to replace the bits and pieces found on the floor.
Jimbo

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:05 am

Jimbo:

I have just the clock for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Clocky-Mobile-Ala ... 659&sr=8-2

We got one for our teenager and it really works.
Mickfly

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:58 am

I don't think it could take a direct hit from a torque wrench and I'm a good shot.
I need some made out of plate steel and will flip the mattress over and dump me on the floor.
Back on subject.....
I'll be using flys like these this year, Good Luck!
Jimbo

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:59 am

Those are pretty flies, Jimbo, but they do little to advance the greatest philosophical problem of all time: What came first, the chicken or the . . .