In Production Mode

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

mickmcco
Site Admin

In Production Mode

Post by mickmcco » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:01 pm

It's a beautiful day outside, and if I weren't at least two hours from good trout water, I'd be fishing. But since it's the weekend and local waters will be crowded anyway, I decided to refill some of my trout boxes.

My boys and I fished the catch and release section of the Blue River in Oklahoma on Monday, an area with many gnarly trees, sunken logs, sticky rocks, and other fly grabbing ambience. Among the three of us, we did a pretty good job of emptying the flybox I'd prepped for our trip, so there are lots of holes to fill. Some of my other trout boxes need attention, too.

For the record, here's what I'm tying to catch up and prep for my next trout trip:

1. Annelids (worms) in red, black, tan, and olive, TMC 200R BL, sizes 18 and 20.

2. Sparkle eggs, 2mm and 6mm, in chartreuse, orange, peach, and "pellet olive", TMC 2457 barbless, sizes 12-16.

3. BWO Swimming Nymphs, TMC 2488H, size 18.

4. Yong Kim Thread Midges (a San Juan fly), in black, cream, white, gray, and "Summer Brown," made with Coats & Clark sewing thread, TMC 2488H, size 18 or 20, some with gold beads.

5. Flashback pheasant tails, TMC 3761 BL, size 20.

6. Pheasant tail midges in brown, black, olive, and red. TMC 100BL, sizes 18-20, some with beads.

7. Mercer Midgelings, black, brown and olive, size 16, TMC 2457 BL, with glass or metal beads.

8. Guadalupanas and olive woolly buggers, tungsten beads or coneheads, TMC 5263, sizes 10 and 12.

There will probably be more as I work my way through the various flyboxes, but that's it so far.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:22 pm

Mick if you need anybody to help you with the testing of these particular patterns just let me know! Since I'm on the river a lot I can get you the results quickly!
Sounds like a great line up for our low flows and clear water conditions. Everyone else who has been asking about what patterns to throw should take notice. You will do well with these patterns I'm sure.
Jimbo

Danny S

Post by Danny S » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:56 am

That's a good arsenal Mick. Always liked the Andy Kim patterns--he sure took a simple and effective approach to midges, not to mention causing raids on the wife's sewing box fo the C&C thread--HA!

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:14 am

Well, Danny, with all the midges I seem to tie, I now have my own stash of C&C thread and DMC embroidery yarn, so I can tie those Midge Magic flies you are so fond of using on the LMF. :)
Mickfly

bhigdon

Post by bhigdon » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:26 am

yep.......you got my most productive fly in there.

Danny S

Post by Danny S » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:07 pm

That one midge pattern is my favorite; and they are producing with more regularity on the Guadalaupe this year too. For some reason, they are letting the soft hackle flow by and then take the midge. :wink:

lhill

Post by lhill » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:00 pm

Hope you hooked something other than the trees and rocks, Mick. Thanks for the list of flies. Several interesting midge patterns I hadn't seen before. I inherited some C&C thread, probably not good colors, but they say size 50. That any good?

I like Bill and Danny's non-specific endorsements. I've only had a couple on a zebra midge, most on woollies and eggs. Can't seem to get much interest in bugs, but maybe that's just me.
Larry

"None of us ever dies if the deeds we've done continue to do good in a world where trout still swim." Dave Hughes

Fly2Fish

Guad v. San Juan fly size

Post by Fly2Fish » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:50 pm

As a Guad newbie, I'm curious why the Guad trout seem to take larger flies in generally the same patterns than do their San Juan brethren. I recognize that even though there is a close similarity in what all tailwater trout seem to take, perhaps the greater holdover in the San Juan makes them more wary, and thus more inclined to take smaller flies. Or perhaps it's because the Guad is generally a warmer area and thus the bugs grow larger (in that regard, I note that the water temperatures in "trout" season on the Guad seem somewhat warmer than on the SJ - not a scientific sample :wink: ).
Fly2Fish

Danny S

Post by Danny S » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:26 am

I am not familiar with the C&C sizes (e.g., 50). Of course, my spools are a few years old. One spool could last YEARS.

The labels on the spools I have:

"All Purpose Dual Duty Plus" on one end label and "T1" on the other end label, below the UPC code. They also have "ART. 200" above the UPC Code. Not sure exactly what the T1 and ART.200 represents.

With regard to FlyFish2's query, and just my opinion/2 cents, the Guadalupe fish will take smaller flies. While there have been many posts about fish caught on buggers and other streamers, there are many folks who do well with #18-24 flies representing midges/tricos/BWOs.

bhigdon

Post by bhigdon » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:12 am

I would agree with Danny with regard to flies. Most of the larger fish taken by my client have been the smaller flies, although we do catch many fish on streamers.

The largest fish I have ever taken from the Guad was on a size 22.

lhill

Post by lhill » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:34 am

Thanks Danny, for the reply about the thread. Looking closer at what I have, it just says Clark's O.N.T., Boilfast Mercerized. Guess I'll give it a try.
Larry

"None of us ever dies if the deeds we've done continue to do good in a world where trout still swim." Dave Hughes

Danny S

Post by Danny S » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:54 pm

Always worth giving it a try, Larry--the Dual Duty Plus I mentioned is also mercerized cotton, like the ONT. If it looks like it might work--one should try it.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:39 pm

OK.... You have my attention....
What is mercerized cotton? And why is it better than other threads for flytying?
Jimbo

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:43 pm

I was curious about Larry's comment regarding the Coats and Clark threads, so I checked out their website. Like Danny, the C & C threads I use are the Dual Duty Plus All Purpose threads, in about four dozen colors. According to the site, those threads are made of mercerized cotton around a polyester core. They include a table comparing their various threads and matching them to needles sizes. The table says the Dual Duty Plus All Purpose threads are a size 75 (whatever that means). So I'm guessing they are a bit thicker than the threads Larry has.

Regarding Fly2fish's comments on fly size, I think he may be onto something. I've spent a lot of time on both the Guadalupe and the San Juan, and I do find that trout here take larger flies, on average, than do the trout there. The water on the San Juan tends to be colder and more carefully regulated, so the temps don't vary as much. It's been my experience that the colder the water, the smaller the midges. We also have lots of Tricos and BWOs around, and most of them are in the 18-22 range, so the fish may key on them as well.

To answer Jimbo's question, mercerization is a treatment for cotton fabric and thread that gives fabric a lustrous appearance. It was developed by John Mercer in England in the 1840s. The modern production method for mercerized cotton gives cotton thread (or cotton-covered thread with a polyester core) a sodium hydroxide bath that is then neutralized with an acid bath. This treatment increases luster, strength, affinity to dye, and resistance to mildew.

For me, what makes those threads so good for tying midges is that, in addition to the luster, the fact that the thread is cotton wrapped around polyester means that you can spin it and tighten the fibers, so it produces a segmented appearance when wrapped, much like you would spin or twist antron or z-lon fibers to produce a roped look on a Serendipity.
Mickfly

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi Mick,

Are the flys you are tying for the Blue River ot the Guadalupe or both?
Is the two hours to the Blue River or the Guadalupe, or both?

david