Lower Guad fun

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

CSJ

Lower Guad fun

Post by CSJ » Fri May 09, 2008 8:58 am

Nothing to compare with Ron and Jimbo's trip but 6 of these little guys will help you have a better morning for sure.

Very pretty part of the river that I had never fished until yesterday.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri May 09, 2008 9:18 am

Looks good to me.... how far down are you talking about? Jimbo

CSJ

Post by CSJ » Fri May 09, 2008 11:46 am

Waded upriver from the 1st crossing over 306. Couldn't go as far as I wanted because I brought my camera and was worried about getting it wet. Next time I will leave it at home so I can go a little further upriver. Figured this area will be immune to the rubber hatch.

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

This area and whitewater is where I go for trout. There will be some tube hatch and other kayak traffic during busy periods, like weekends. Quite often, there will be bank bait fishermen at the Maricopa by the bridge, and the owner did have some no trespass signs, may run you off, if you loiter in front. During heavy water release it will be hard to wade without trespass.

Water above the dam picture is normally too deep for wading more than a few yards. Bank is mostly steep on both sides above the dam, with obstructions like docks, brush and trees, so you will have to step well inside private property. I use a small pontoon to explore the area, but a kayak or canoe should work well also. There is heavy, small lot development that is busy with the owners and their kids and toys during the summer, especially on weekends. If you can work your way a distance upstream, there are some gradual banks and much larger river lots which are little more peaceful. Trout have been scarce for me in the upper area in recent years, though it was good many years back. Some bass and perch, though.

Hope this helps.

Pon