How do I modify my hyperlink settings.

Questions about accessing the GRTU message board, suggestions for improvement.

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

How many days will you fish the Guadalupe this season? (Dec09-Apr10)

No votes
1-5
No votes
5-10
6%
11-20
31%
21-40
19%
41-60
19%
61-80
6%
81-100
6%
100+
13%

Total votes: 16

castell

How do I modify my hyperlink settings.

Post by castell » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:59 am

If I click on any hyperlink, that page will open in my current browser. I would rather it open a new browser instead. The BBCode help page (see below) says that it depends on the users browser preference, which I assume is a setting in the User Control Panel, but I can't find where to make that switch.

http://www.grtu.org/forums/faq.php?mode=bbcode#f4r0

The only work around I can find is a right click and then open the link in a new tab but I don't always remember that trick.

I don't have this problem on other sites with [url] links.

Also, I know with phpBB3 that sometimes there is a need to change some code around.

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/links-o ... w-windows/

Sorry...Full Moon brings out the crazy questions :roll:
Last edited by castell on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

grtuadmin
Site Admin

Re: How do I modify my hyperlink settings.

Post by grtuadmin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:06 pm

The behavior of the phpBB3 has been changed:

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/links-o ... w-windows/

Now the default is not to open a new browser. Some programming changes to the phpBB3 software would have to be done. It's too much for me to keep up with. Everytime the Board software is updated, the changes would have to be re-applied.

castell

Post by castell » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:18 pm

Got ya on the coding...and there isn't a toggle in the UCP that will allow for a user defined preferences as suggested in the FAQ section dealing with the [url] function? Something similar to the popup window toggle for PM's in the Board Preferences>Global Settings Menu?

From FAQ: "Please notice that the link opens in the same window or a new window depending on the users browser preferences."

Thanks,

dc

On another topic, is there any way to get the poll function turned on for the other boards? Please? I promise to play nice.

:P

grtuadmin
Site Admin

Post by grtuadmin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:10 pm

I looked both through IE and Firefox, and there was no such setting. There is a setting about Tabs vs opening new windows, but that is something different than the problem we have here.

I think the link pretty much sums up the quality of the information that can be found on the internet. So much wrong, you have to dig to get at the truth.

I am not opposed to having polls, we've used them in the past. Probably the Lease Members Forum would be the best place. But I think there's got to be an understanding that this is a volunteer organization, and a few people are sacrificing a lot just to get the basics done. So if there are poll questions about what can be improved, run better, etc, then there should also be someone willing to step up and make it happen- if that's what people want. A volunteer is better than gold (going at $1,200 an ounce). I've had suggestions in the past about, "why doesn't GRTU do...." And when I say, "Great, go ahead and take the lead", and the response is usually, "Oh, I meant for you to do it, not me- I am just making the suggestion!"

I guess I am saying that polls about fishing techniques, favorite spots, etc would be much better questions, unless we have someone committed to volunteering to further GRTU's conservation mission. Then, that would be a true asset to GRTU.

castell

Post by castell » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:51 am

Thanks for looking into the matter. I will just remember to right click.

I was playing around with the poll last night because I hadn't seen one anywhere else on this board and wanted it to be "on topic" with regard to the board I was posting in. Above is the one I had in mind for asking on the Trout page.

As far as lending a hand, I would be happy to help out. I've done work with other groups in the past and live only 10 minutes from the river. I will fill out the Volunteer Form (http://www.grtu.org/grtu-volform.html) and we can go from there.

wiscoy

Post by wiscoy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:18 am

Interesting post, even though have no clue what you are talking about nor do I care to know at this time, but did have a question that one of you computer guru's might be able to answer: has there been a recent change to the forum site? reason I ask is because use to click on view active topics with 7 day window to view current topics, but no longer works brings up window with note that no topics meet criteria. Please advise.

Regards,

Wiscoy

grtuadmin
Site Admin

Post by grtuadmin » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:31 am

There was a software upgrade last Saturday. It's possible a bug was introduced. I have not used the feature you speak of