Arkansas River in Colorado

Trout Fishing Anywhere

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

txcoastie57

Arkansas River in Colorado

Post by txcoastie57 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:45 pm

I am planning a trip to the Arkansas River with my son this coming spring (2019). I can read all the info that local guides and shops put out. What I'm looking for is a member that has fished it and what fly's were productive.

jtmorr

Re: Arkansas River in Colorado

Post by jtmorr » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:56 pm

I've fished there a few times in the spring. Mayfly emergers (olive and grey RS2s, JuJu's, Barr's, black and olive WD-40s), smaller soft-hackle pheasant tails (no flash), and Adams/Para Adams/Irresistables are good general patterns, along with an assortment of caddis nymphs and dries, seemed to cover it. Keep a couple wooly buggers and versatile flies like a Royal Trude on hand too; one of the best days fishing I've had on the Ark was swinging a Royal Trude on a windy day.

A couple of my favorite setups on the Arkansas. (1) a double dry, with a #14/16 crystal flash caddis trailed by a smaller Adams (better in late spring/summer(; (2) a tan or yellow foam caddis with a small pheasant tail dropper (also better late spring); (3) Para Adams with a Barrs or WD40 dropper; and (4) double nymph rig with a beadhead caddis pupa trailed by a CDC sparkle caddis emerger.

Just one man's opinion, but I've always found Arkansas fish to be very picky about color, so take a few color variations of flies like Caddis dries and R2s/WD40s.

judprince96

Post by judprince96 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:56 am

Go by Arkanglers fly shop in Salida or Buena Vista. Great shop, good intel, great guides and anything else you need. Good fly selections and up to date knowledge on current conditions. Very helpful

judprince96

Post by judprince96 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:56 am

Go by Arkanglers fly shop in Salida or Buena Vista. Great shop, good intel, great guides and anything else you need. Good fly selections and up to date knowledge on current conditions. Very helpful

bkay

Post by bkay » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:19 pm

I fished the Arkansas about 2 years ago with Arkanglers out of Salida. The float was from Salida downstream. The water was high and streamers worked and were fished most of the day. The guide mentioned that Brown's Canyon was crowded and gets traffic from the kyack's. My fishing buddy liked it better than I did. We also fished some of the ranches around Fairplay. They were walk-and-wade and I found those to be much more enjoyable and had better fish.