Troutfest 2018,

Trout Fishing Anywhere

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

bruce02

Troutfest 2018,

Post by bruce02 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:41 pm

Not sure if posting right place.

Troutfest 2018 was great. Thanks to everyone that made it happen. After 11 years in WY, followed by 19 yrs in north Europe (Norway) recently retired to my native TX. After living in WY, IFFF festivals in West Yellowstone MT, etc, the last place on earth I would expect a FANTASTIC Trout festival was in TX.
Bruce

Jimbo Roberts

Re: Troutfest 2018,

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:28 pm

This year's TroutFest was simply the best Flyfishing Expo GRTU has ever put on.
I was there for this year's banquet but didn't bring my camera. I was absent from last year's banquet because of one of those last minute runs to the emergency room, but I will tell you the food was an amazing step up from 2 years ago. I am getting spoiled by the pavilion at Lazy L&L. Completely enclosed, a nice bar at the back, and real bathrooms. Then Chris Woods began his speech. It was wonderful and he reaped praise upon GRTU, especially for our Youth Challenge Program and the Tomorrow Fund. It's nice to get recognition like this for a chapter that was once thought of as an outsider in TU.

Now came the real meat of the Expo: Saturday and Sunday. I love all the retailers and outfitters in the main and surrounding tents. I spend so much time in area fly shops everyone knows me by my first name. There's always a few things I need to pick up and it's real convenient and easy here. They just love me showing up. Then there are the special speakers. This year I saw three: Chris Johnson "Flyfishing the Guadalupe" and later his "Flyfishing the Republic of Texas". Seems I always seem to catch a secret or two he slides in his presentations.
Then there was Flip Pallot. A true Saturday morning hero of mine having watched all his "Walker Cay Chronicles". He's my kind of guy. Although most of his shows were of salt water fishing, there were still enough of his Trout fishing roots to satisfy me. Most don't know he was a full time guide on the Bighorn back starting in the 80's and the infamous "Winchester War" that most have never heard about. He is also a Big Bird Hunter which isn't widely known. He was a hunting guide for Turkeys in his off season days in Florida. Then he regaled us with a crazy story he called his Nightmare "Dream Trip". It was about his first ever trip to New Zealand for it's giant if not elusive Trout. It was hilarious and enlightening.

Then of course there were all the conversations with old and new friends. I really enjoyed picking apart the minds of Nick Streit from "The reel Life" Fly Shop in Santa Fe and the all anglers (especially Jon Easdon) from "Anglers Covey" Fly Shop in Colorado Springs. I'm always trying to expand my knowledge of Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado. You know me, I'm always looking for another secret and fabulous Cutthroat Fishery.

Then there is the FlyFishing Film Tour. Always a delight to see places I will never visit and some fishing from fabled names around the world.
It's almost as good as there going myself. Especially considering that I am now on the backslope of my life and wouldn't be up to the physical challenge of most of them.

Jimbo

blanectodd

Post by blanectodd » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:30 am

+1

While my wife got her feet wet at the women's beginner class, I had the pleasure of attending Dayle Mazzarella's casting clinic. Dayle is a great teacher - I hope he returns. The match the hatch presentation was excellent as well. With no entrance fee, we were happy to stop by the GRTU store and make some purchases. We'll definitely be back next year.
Just because you like the sound of your logic, does not mean your logic is sound

JWH

Post by JWH » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:09 am

This was my first Troutfest and I have to say I was blown away! I decided to take advantage of the wealth of knowledge that was there and given for free. I went to Dakus Geeslin’s Match the Hatch presentation and was very impressed that he not only had slides and vials of some of the aquatic entomology in the Guadalupe River but brought in live specimens as well! I took a Casting in the Wind class that Jim Bass taught and picked up lots of tips that I am sure will keep me from getting hooked. And later I took the Salt Water class from Jeff Ferguson, priceless!
When I arrived that morning I was told that I should have been there for Chris Johnson’s Fly Fishing the Guadalupe River so I went back on Sunday to catch his Fly Fishing the Republic of Texas. I was surprised to see it was the “old” Republic extending up int New Mexico etc as those are some of my old stomping grounds, but the other locations around here showed me that I will now have a fly rod in my hand year round! He also talked (and he is a very good presenter by the way) not only on where to but how to. Plus Chris’s photography was worth the trip alone.
This is going to be a hard act to follow, I hope that all the exhibitors received the attention that they deserved and will want to return next year. If you did not go you owe it to youself to take advantage of this wonderful event.

But the real reason for this dissertation is to thank GRTU and everyone involved for this opportunity!

Cassio

Post by Cassio » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:13 am

Great event indeed. Forget all the trout stuff, there was free beer! From one of my favorite Texas brewery, Real Ale.

But back to talking trout. I'm so glad I was able to sit in one of Chris Johnson's presentation. He is a phenomenal speaker and a great all around person to talk to. Immediately after his presentation I ran to his booth and picked up the Colorado and New Mexico atlas he recommended and he was even nice enough to point out the streams he mentioned in his slide show. Can't wait for warm weather and to start chasing those thin blue lines.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:51 am

A little Post TroutFest action.
Nick Streit, son of Taylor Streit, and owner of "The Reel Life" Fly Shop in Santa Fe New Mexico put on a presentation at "Living Waters" last night.
Nick was at TroutFest and we talked a bunch there, but I was looking forward to this take on Cutthroats found in Northern New Mexico and southern Colorado. I'm always trying to find out a little more on my favorite fish. And he was forthcoming!
He revealed more, with specific names and locations, than I expected. He talked about creeks which I have not fished yet, but were on my hit list. And some creeks and lakes new to me. Of course he talked about some private water just this side of nirvana.
There were quite a good number that showed up for a Friday night.....
It's 100 miles one way from San Antonio and I'm glad I went!

Jimbo

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:55 pm

I wonder why no one wanted to sit next to Matt? :P
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:00 pm

We were running out of donuts.....
No seriously there were even more flyfishermen there to see Nick's presentation.
I just could not get them all in the frame.

Jimbo