Whitlock/Vibert Box Program

Trout Fishing Anywhere

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Jimbo Roberts

Whitlock/Vibert Box Program

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:23 pm

We will be receiving the Rainbow Trout Eyed Eggs for Trout in the Classroom next week (Jan 25).
We usually have more eggs than Ron can use for the students classes. GRTU has been using these access eggs and plant them in the river using Whitlock/Vibert boxes to help increase their chances of survival. I have been in charge of this part of the program for many years. This year because of health issues I will not be able to participate. I have initiated the permitting process with TPWD to allow for this planting.

What I need is some of the members who have previously helped with these planting to pick up the ball and run with it.
If you would like make this happen, volunteer here and I will hand off everything necessary to accomplish this planting.
Really this is more of a education opportunity than a real necessity for the long term health of the fishery.
We will need about 4 volunteers to make this an easier process.
Thank you for your consideration.

Jimbo
Last edited by Jimbo Roberts on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LCVaughan

Re: Whitlock/Vibert Box Program

Post by LCVaughan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:22 pm

Jimbo - It’s been six years since I schleped gravel down to the river at Kranz in support of this program. Still, after checking out Whitlock/Vibert videos on YouTube, and with your guidance, I’m good to go. Let me know if I can help........Thanks.......Lloyd Vaughan

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:41 am

7 years ago, I helped Jimbo with planting eggs, but 18 schools in the program this year, we'll be blowing and going to get eggs to classrooms.

Lloyd will need a crew to help with the gravel and planting egg boxes.

Here's a few eggs beginning to hatch after a week in the classroom.

and a lucky shot of a few released into the river in May

of course the goal of the classroom program isn't really to raise fish - it's to raise conservationsists

edited this post - recently learned from Matt of Houston FFF, we're up to 20 schools this year
Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc

JWH

Post by JWH » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:30 am

I have not helped in the past but would be willing to help out in any way I can. Just let me know.
Jerry

pgath

Post by pgath » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:05 pm

i'm down again, pretty sure my back can handle a little gravel scooping.

judprince96

Post by judprince96 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:05 am

I'll be glad to help off needed

sgbaker

Post by sgbaker » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:40 pm

Lowes, Thursday,Jan 25, 12:00P will be there with sorter, tub, etc.
Baker 512-791-9662
PS: watching Dave Whitlock's FFI video, I'll try to have most of the tools recommended
Baker,
So much to learn, so little time

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:53 pm

Thanks for volunteering to help.
Bring your waders, boots, gloves, and dress for the weather.
Same as a regular Trout stocking.
See everyone at Lowe's Grocery in Sattler at Thursday Jan 25th at noon.

Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:36 am

Just learned from our New Braunfels TIC teacher, her father, Hylmar Karbach passed last evening.
Kate went to the trouble this morning to route me to her team teacher.
Hylmar was a force in early GRTU.
Fond memories.
And Hylmar is certainly vested in the future.

ps - just accepted the Fed-Ex delivery of 4000 live trout eggs. We're on schedule.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:50 pm

Well today was the day to get these excess Rainbow Trout eggs into their new home on the Guadalupe.
Ron McAlpin, who heads up "Trout in the Classroom" was at the Lowe's Store in Sattler to divy up those eggs.
We were talking about this and how many years we've been doing this. Well it's too long to accurately remember, but well into double digits.
Me, and my volunteers, job is to make the best use of those extra eggs and turn them into catchable sized Trout in the Guadalupe.

Today I had 5 members volunteer: Steve Baker, Jerry Horton, Lloyd Vaughan, Paul Gathauy, and Jud Prince.
Next stop was Ingram's Ranch where we were given permission and access to harvest some clean gravel.
Here you can see our volunteers, shoveling gravel onto a classifer to come up with a desirable sized gravel for our needs.
It's hard work, but this crew went about their work with enthusiasm.

Next stop was to take the several hundreds of pounds of gravel and other equipment up to Maricopa and haul everything down to the river.
Here we have put the excess eggs into this water filled tray to transfer them into the upper chambers of the Whitlock/Vibert Boxes.
Then we place some plastic crates into position with the lower third filled with our clean gravel. Then we place two of the full Whitlock/Vibert boxes in each crate. The next step is to cover them completely with the remaining gravel. Then lastly add our signs identifying why these crates are there and what's their purpose.....
Happiness is another job well done!
I would ask everyone fishing this area to let these special crates be and do not disturb them.
In about 8 weeks we will have about 1000 Rainbow Trout fry swim out of these boxes and into the Guadalupe.
Good Luck little guys!

Jimbo
Last edited by Jimbo Roberts on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:50 pm

Thanks again.....
Now I will be back in about 8 weeks to inspect their progress.
Once the fry have all left the Whitlock/Vibert boxes, I will remove the crates, and leave the river as we found it.

Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:59 am

Jimbo, made me go back and do the math - turns out my guess yesterday was right.
I remember helping Karen set up her first tank at Hoffman Lane Elementary school. As she expanded the program to other schools, Round Rock, Roosevelt HS, Larry Hill was one of her full-time helpers. What I remember for sure, is she ran the program for 8 years before volunteering me to take the reigns.

I took the program over in 2010, and up front will acknowledge Matt Blyth for his great efforts in Katy and Houston, along with Doug Kierklewski and most recently Bill Marshall for the effort they contribute to the program.
currently, our 20 schools include classrooms in Canyon, New Braunfels, Boerne, San Antonio, Austin, Round Rock, Katy and Houston.

So the first time you dug a hole in the river to plant a Vibert box was probably either 2003 or 2004. It was your idea as a better solution to excess eggs than simply pouring them into the river. We've each done our part long enough that we have systems that are working. We also turned those busy half-days at the river into some really good fishing on the other half.

We've outlasted hatchery staff and policy changes - and especially their egg counting mercy. Last year we barely received enough eggs for the schools, so this year, I doubled the order, and results look like it was just right.

It's always fun to deliver the eggs to classrooms. Where we go to HS aquatic science departments, the kids are too cool, and the teachers are excited. At the elementary schools, the kids are usually wound up over the visit. At Mountain Valley ES in the Horseshoe Bend, they have the tank placed wonderfully - it's in a no-walls part-time teaching space at the top of the stairs, where every kid in the school can promenade past it every day to inspect the hatching eggs and fry.

Yesterday at New Braunfels CA, I was grilled with 20 questions and 20 fish stories (the beauty of catch and release, they keep growing after you let them go - there was a kid who remembers catching a 4' Guadalupe rainbow - way cool), but I hope I got all the important answers back to the kids. The next great adventure will be in May, when the kids and teachers return their fingerlings to the river.

And to everyone who contributed to each leg of this enterprise - Great Job Guys !!!
4000 live rainbow trout eggs are settled into their new domiciles
Ron Mc

JWH

Post by JWH » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:43 am

Thanks for the history Ron. And a big thanks to you and Jimbo for the opportunity.
Jimbo it was great to see you back in your element!
Jerry

wmarsh422

Post by wmarsh422 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:10 am

Thanks Ron, it was a pleasure helping. Great program and thanks for all of your efforts on this.
Bill Marshall
marshallw@grtu.org

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:59 am

I honestly haven't been fishing for praise, but have been receiving it here and e-mails for the past few days - it is appreciated.

The fun thing about this post (Education Chair), is it overlaps so many functions within GRTU - Fisheries, Education, Conservation - and Perfectly fits our defined purpose.

As far as getting people involved, I always like to use this example of our favorite speakers, fly fishing heroes, etc. (Whitlock, Borger, Kreh) - and Jimbo.
The best times I've ever had fishing was fishing on TV, filming TU on the Rise with Jimbo and Frank Smethurst, and KT Diaries with Kevin Townsend (while Jimbo was with us documenting the documentary).
It was because of the company - these guys are Just Like Me.
You put a fly rod in our hands, and we turn into kids - and that makes us infectious.

It's also why it wasn't easy for Jimbo and me to remember how long we've been doing this - we've been having too much fun for it to seem like work.
Ron Mc