Troutfest/Black Canyon Jackpot

Trout Fishing Anywhere

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

velo49

Troutfest/Black Canyon Jackpot

Post by velo49 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:21 pm

My long-time friend and fishing buddy Ron W. and I were the fortunate winning bidders at Troutfest for the Black Canyon of the Gunnison float trip donated by Black Canyon Anglers (BCA). The next night at the FFF screenings we were able to get the inside scoop on this trip from Chris Jackson(Action Angler) who guides for BCA in the summer and Dave Smith who many of you know also from Action Angler. Dave also spends summers at BCA and is a fantastic customer service guy: making sure your trip goes off perfectly. After our talk with them we decided to to extend the 2 day package to a 3 day trip with 2 nights on the river. We called Derek and booked for July 9-11.

We all owe manager Derek Kehmeier and his staff our gratitude for supporting GRTU and for their providing this experience. It is a true wilderness adventure with creature comforts provided by the guides and staff. As you will see in the pictures the lodge is remote, the river is remote but through a logistics plan that rivals moving an army, and including vans, trailers, horses, lone mountaineers, and a little shoe leather on our part it all comes together.

We began each day nymph fishing; usually a girdle bug with a size 18 copper john, prince, others that look similar to our Guad choices but with local names. Rainbows from 12 to 20 inches came to hand using this method. Browns also liked this combo. Later in the day steamers worked and as soon as we saw grassy banks we tied on hoppers and hopper droppers. On the morning of the second day Ron wandered down stream after breakfast to a riffle with a grass bank and caught seven browns up to 15 inches in about 30 minutes. I personally caught bigger fish nymphing but hopper fishing is the most exciting. Having to place the bug within inches of the bank from a moving boat and frequently from what I consider a great distance is challenging, but when they hit regardless of size it is a rush. One of the pictures shows a dead adult salmon fly for which this river is famous. Unfortunately they hatch in May or June when flows were approaching 5000 cfs. They fished it and were successful but it didn't fit our schedules. We floated it at 900 to 1000 cfs.

A little explanation about the pictures: I used my Nikon D3200 which of course is not waterproof and was in a dry bag in the bottom of the boat at my feet. Its versatility is great but access reduced the on river pictures. The pictures are in chronological order showing the remoteness of the road to the lodge followed by the lodge itself and of course the food. You will see the van and trailer being loaded with gear and the high vista is not quite to the top of the mountain where off loading takes place for the hike down to the river. There are of course fish pictures but I hoped to give a sence of the depth and severity of the canyon and beauty of it all. The large bull snake tried several times to rob that cliff swallow nest which was about 12 feet up the canyon wall but fell off each time he got close. Camp sites and lunch stops were well thought out and the class 2 and 3 rapids were just enough to thrill and cool off. The last two pictures are both browns fooled by hoppers.

I hope this hasn't been too wordy, but my intent is to give credit to the folks at BCA and to inspire you to put them on your bucket list. And if Derek donates a trip next year bid long and bid high.

Thanks Randy McGinnis

p.s. Sure hope this link works

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/Q26 ... YolC65qSJe

Texjbq

Re: Troutfest/Black Canyon Jackpot

Post by Texjbq » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Great report!!! Looks amazing! Thanks for posting.

sgbaker

Post by sgbaker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:01 pm

Not too wordy at all, well written. :mrgreen: (I'm not sure if this is the correct emogee but meant to be "green with envy",)
thanks for the report
Baker,
So much to learn, so little time

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:30 am

Very nice, it's one of those bucket list kinda places.....

Jimbo

JWH

Post by JWH » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:44 pm

Thanks for sharing! And thanks for making me home sick. I used to live in Grand Junction CO and fished the Gunnison all the time, definitely a most beautiful place.

velo49

Post by velo49 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:19 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. It really was an experience. It takes such a monster effort by the BCA team just to get you to the river that the fishing, although fantastic, is almost secondary to everything else.