Etiquette Astream - Refresher

Trout Fishing Anywhere

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

Alex Argyros

Re: Etiquette Astream - Refresher

Post by Alex Argyros » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:14 pm

I agree with most of what you say, and urge all anglers to practice basic manners while on stream.

But, when boat of any kind (yak, tube, etc.) comes floating downstream and encounters a wading fisherman, it is the boat that should try to go behind the fisherman, not the fisherman who should get out of the way of the boat.

I've spent many hours on the Guadalupe, and most boat handlers understand this and behave with courtesy and friendliness. The best, usually, are guides, who will go out of their way not to float over a stretch of river that one is fishing. Occasionally, tubers can't get out the way, but they usually apologize and we have a pleasant conversation. Very rarely does someone aggressively float through a run that I'm fishing.

Alex

mhamlettster

Re: Etiquette Astream - Refresher

Post by mhamlettster » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:43 am

Alex Argyros wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:14 pm
I agree with most of what you say, and urge all anglers to practice basic manners while on stream.

But, when boat of any kind (yak, tube, etc.) comes floating downstream and encounters a wading fisherman, it is the boat that should try to go behind the fisherman, not the fisherman who should get out of the way of the boat.

I've spent many hours on the Guadalupe, and most boat handlers understand this and behave with courtesy and friendliness. The best, usually, are guides, who will go out of their way not to float over a stretch of river that one is fishing. Occasionally, tubers can't get out the way, but they usually apologize and we have a pleasant conversation. Very rarely does someone aggressively float through a run that I'm fishing.

Alex
I agree for the most part. The only parts I have issues with is right in front of white water, or through the chutes above barking dog, and the rapids where the water is too narrow to get around without dragging a kayak over rocks instead of going through flowing navigable water. If I can get behind someone in the water fishing, I will. That said, also maybe don't anchor your kick pontoon in the middle of rapids and wonder why you get run into by a kayak running those rapids.