Wading guidelines in higher flows

Trout Fishing Anywhere

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

LabRat

Wading guidelines in higher flows

Post by LabRat » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:45 pm

With the lake levels at 909+ now, we can expect flows higher than we have become accustomed to in the last couple of years. The flows at the Sattler gauge are 540 cfs at the time of this post. So let's review the guidelines we all read when we signed up for the lease access program:

Safe wading depends n the experience, knowledge and judgment of the individual and the risk that person is willing to assume.

- Flows above 550 cfs are unsafe to wade

- Flows between 300 to 550 cfs should be undertaken by only those who have experience wading in swift water conditions. Preferably you will have knowledge of the river bottom and would have waded the area previously. Much of the river will be too swift and too deep to wade safely. The potential to be swept off your feet is high.

- Flows between 200 - 300 cfs can be undertaken by most experienced waders. There are still areas that may be too swift of deep to wade, Inexperienced waders should be aware.

- Flows below 200 cfs have moderate current. A few areas may have the potential to cause a loss of footing

- Flows below 100 cfs have slow current.

Flow information can be obtained by checking the http://www.grtu.org/ website or the GBRA site at http://www.gbra.org/Public/FlowData.aspx
Mark Dillow

bhigdon

Re: Wading guidelines in higher flows

Post by bhigdon » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:33 am

Flows are above 550 cfs and too fast to wade.

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:49 am

David

bhigdon

Post by bhigdon » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:57 am

I would not attempt it now even with a wading staff.....

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:23 am

As info, I'm a 240 lb guy who's still fairly athletic, and I got swept and went for a swim Sunday when it was only at 400. Moving water don't mess around y'all.
I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer, and I practice moderation in moderation.

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:25 pm

Yep...flows are now almost 700 cfs....
Mark Dillow

Oncorhynchus

Post by Oncorhynchus » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:56 am

Flows are up to 802. :shock:
"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary."

~by Patrick F. McManus~

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:02 am

It's still coming into Canyon strong at the other end also. Where to go fishing if the weather gets nice? Even if it ain't trout?
Time to check out the small lakes or creeks if the wind lays low. I like Boerne and Rebecca Creek #11 once debris settles out. Any others?

Pon

Oncorhynchus wrote:Flows are up to 802. :shock:

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:33 am

For a neat small stream experience, try Cibolo Creek in Boerne. Take 46 east from downtown and turn right between the agricultural museum and the county fairgrounds. Take that road until it runs into a gate, turn right and that will take you to the parking lot of Cibolo Nature Center. The creek fishes well for about a half mile in either direction. Largemouth, smallmouth, and pure strain Guadalupe Bass, along with sunfish, catfish, and Rio Grande cichlids. It was my favorite spot to fish when I lived in Boerne.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:58 pm

Mick is right about the Cibolo. It's flowing about 58cfs. 4wt or smaller, short or ultrlight.

I fished there a few times last year with low flows. The bass were extremly skitish in the slack water. The sunfish not so much and were caught casting to the far bank and stripping the fly.

It's very scenic with large overhanging Cypress. One time I heard all this splashing and commotion and it was two girls riding up the creek on their horses.
David

flyboy22

Post by flyboy22 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:11 pm

Hey guys, thinking about heading out to Rio Raft tomorrow. I usually paddle upstream in the kayak and dry wade. Do you think with the flow, I will be able to paddle upstream or is it even worth it. Any info would be great.

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:50 am

flyboy22 wrote:Hey guys, thinking about heading out to Rio Raft tomorrow. I usually paddle upstream in the kayak and dry wade. Do you think with the flow, I will be able to paddle upstream or is it even worth it. Any info would be great.
Bad idea. You'll be exhausted after paddling any distance, the water is too murky for flies to do well, and its way too swift for wading to be a good idea.

My $0.02
I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer, and I practice moderation in moderation.

flyboy22

Post by flyboy22 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:35 am

Yeah, I figured as much. I think I'm gonna hit Medina lake in the yak. Try throwing some flies around the rocks. Need to get out on the water. Anybody have any luck out at Medina with the flyrod?

Denis

Danny S

Post by Danny S » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:42 am

Never fished Medina lake, but you might try the river between Bandera and Medina. There is at least one crossing where you can put in your Kayak and may be conducive to going up stream a little ways. Follow Hiway 16 out of Bandera toward Medina/Kerrville. There is a crossing that has a state picnic area near the bridge. The water there is fairly level and calm, usually runs clear and holds quite a few bass. You can go further up and turn left on FM 2107 (if I recall correctly). It follows the Medina River toward it's headwaters. There is another crossing up this road that also offers good kayaking on one side of the bridge (easy access here also).

Then, as Mick mentioned, there is Cibolo Creek just outside Boerne off of Hiway 46.. It's a great small stream with loads of fish. Just have to arrive after the Nature Center opens (8 AM I believe).
Last edited by Danny S on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyboy22

Post by flyboy22 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:38 pm

Those all sound good, It's close and sounds like good fishing. Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try and let you know.
Denis