Habitat Restoration Permit for the Guadalupe

Temperature monitoring, etc.

Moderator: acl4trout

grtuadmin
Site Admin

Habitat Restoration Permit for the Guadalupe

Post by grtuadmin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:41 am

GRTU has received formal approval from the Army Corp of Engineers for our initial habitat restoration plan on the Guadalupe River. On Saturday January 9, 2010, GRTU President Bill Higdon received a letter from the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers, Canyon Dam district office granting approval of our plans for restoration activities in the Guadalupe River below Canyon Dam

So what does our plan include? We will be completing restoration efforts in two areas near the dam that were severely affected by the 2002 flood. Our work in these areas will involve replanting vegetation to stabilize the river bank, restore the riparian vegetation, and restore instream vegetation. You can read our Plan for more information: Application For COE Permit for Guadalupe Habitat Restoration

These activities are significant because they represent something very important, our first steps towards improving the habitat in the Guadalupe River. This work will also help establish a good working relationship with the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers. We’ll be looking for volunteers to help with the plantings once this work is underway so keep checking back for updates or contact Gary Cobb directly.

d ayer

Re: Habitat Restoration Permit for the Guadalupe

Post by d ayer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:27 pm

This is really great news!!!

judsondeancole

Post by judsondeancole » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:52 pm

This is outstanding news!

I hold a degree in horticulture so let me know if I can help out in any way.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:03 am

Protect, Reconnect, RESTORE, Maintain.....
It's taken years and years to get to this point, but we are finally getting the Guadalupe Trout Fishery to sound like a more traditional TU project. I've said it for years and I'll say it again, enhance the habitat and nature will fill it! And now we are starting to enhance the habitat. These are exciting times!
Jimbo