Your favorite tying books...

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

gstrand

Your favorite tying books...

Post by gstrand » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:28 am

Tying and books go hand in hand.

My favorite pattern books are the Dick Stewart and Farrow Allen "Flies for ..." series. I have all of the books in that series, and wouldn't trade them. A nice add to those is the "Flies of North America" CD rom, which incorporates all of those books in to a database.

A close second to that series favorite book is Nemes' "Two Centuries of Soft Hackle Flies." I love soft hackles. Was lucky enough to get this one when it came out, so it's autographed and has one of the flies Nemes tied and photographed for use in the book.

What are your favorite tying refrences?

mickmcco

Post by mickmcco » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:39 am

For a beginner, Skip Morris's "Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple" was my starter. I also use Dave Hughes's "Essential Trout Flies," Shane Stalcup's "Mayflies Top to Bottom," and Ed Engle's "Tying Small Flies" a lot these days.

preast

Post by preast » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:26 pm

I like Randall Kaufmann "Tying Nymphs" for info. on what materials are used for which kind of flies. The tying instructions aren't as good as I would like, but it's great for ideas on how to use different materials.

gstrand

Post by gstrand » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:50 pm

Kaufmanns books are good. I was reading the Dries one just last night...

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:21 pm

although I still refer to a few older books, including Dave Hughes series on hatches and nymphs...I mostly do this when I travel. I find myself tying fewer and fewer patterns, based on results. I try to keep it simple.
Ron Mc

mickmcco

Post by mickmcco » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:33 pm

Don't let Ron fool you. He is a highly accomplished and skillful tyer. It just so happens that he only ties (and fishes) Cat's Whiskers. He just makes them look like everything from a BWO emerger to a crayfish.

jamespelland

Post by jamespelland » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:00 pm

Whitlock's Guide To Aquatic Trout Foods isn't really a tying book but it's a great entomology book with some simple ties in it and good advice. This is a good precurser to tying flies because you understand the intricate anatomy of the bugs better.

Dave Hughes Essential Trout Flies is great.