What are you tying?

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

mickmcco

What are you tying?

Post by mickmcco » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:20 am

With the fall trout season almost upon us, I was wondering what people are or will be tying to get ready?

As you can see from the pictures on the other post, my first task is cleanup. After that, I will be filling holes in my boxes by tying more conehead woolly buggers in olive and black, beadhead hare's ears and Prince nymphs, and a new fly by Charlie Craven called a Jujubee Midge.

gstrand

Post by gstrand » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:31 am

Being new to the area, I'm speculating with my tying, so I'm starting with soft hackles and more soft hackles. Then midges and various other subsurface chironomids... Seems that combo will get you troots just about anywhere in the cooler months.

mickmcco

Post by mickmcco » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:33 am

Since the 2002 floods, it seems to me we've had more mayflies than caddis, so RS-2s in various smaller sizes and colors have worked well.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:52 pm

last winter, and then all summer long, I've had very good luck with a BWO nymph I found in American Angler last year. I tie it on a short-shank scud hook, size 18 (Tiemco 2457). Tiny bead head, orange glass or copper, hackle fiber tail - long, it's a BWO. The body is 2 strands of forest green Flashabou twisted together then wrapped up the hook. Dub a small collar with brown fur and tie it off. It's like an electric WD-40. This is my go-to dropper.

Dave Hughes' Serendipity. Easy little fly. I also like the Tiemco 2457 for these. Bead head, tie on a short length of antron then wrap it down the hook so that you've got antron out each end of the fly. Wrap the body with red or green midge lace and tie off. Clip the antron short at each end. Works for a midge w/ shuck, BWO, or a caddis pupae.

Then the real trailing shuck midge, tiny bead, a short fiber of kyrstal flash for the tail, black thread body and fine copper rib.

Certainly more BWOs and tricos than I remember before the flood. Mick, the caddis seem to concentrate in chutes. Devil's playground still has a good afternoon caddis hatch, and there were plenty of caddis at Kanz (removes hat) even in 2003.

Speaking of caddis and maflies, another fly to add is the Guad Prince. I think this one was originated by Alan B. or Walter Z. maybe? in the early 90s. Well, it's a prince nymph, except you use hackle fiber tail and small antron wing (clipped short like a puffed up wing case). Weighted, or I use a small tungsten bead. I also use a size 14 Partridge sproat hook, which makes it a size 16 fly with a big gape, and I use red or green midge lace for a 3-wrap rib. Tail and all, this is a great swimming caddis.
Ron Mc

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:41 am

Time to replenish my supply of small beadhead pheasant tails, which worked well on the river yesterday. We decorated a few trees, rocks, and fish with our flies.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

bhigdon

Post by bhigdon » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:36 am

Bead head hairsears, prince, black midge with a flash wing all in sizes 18-20. Strugling but trying to tie a few little brown bugs.

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:06 pm

That Little Brown Bug is a tough one for me. You gave me one of those at a lease site, Bill, about two or three years ago and I caught more trout that day than I can even say. Then I went and lost that little sucker towards the end of that day so I tried to go home and tie it from memory. Complete failure--still can't figure that one out!

I'm tying up a whole mess of those little black thread midges (18--22) that seem to work so well early season. Some with a hint of white or flash wing case, some without and I finish them all off with a peacock herl turn or two at the eye.

-Ronnie

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:20 am

If you find the Little Brown Bug too hard to tie, you can buy them at The Fly Shop in Redding, CA or through their catalog or internet site at www.theflyshop.com. The originator is Mike Mercer, who can be reached at mercer@theflyshop.com. I spoke with Mike about how to tie the pattern and still have been unable to tie one. Mike also provides instruction on the Bug in his new book Creative Fly Tying.
Mickfly

bhigdon

Post by bhigdon » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:18 am

You can also get them at Gruene Outfitters and Sportsmans Finest. Now no more talk about the little brown bug.

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:30 am

I guess it's now time for a Power Bait thread.
Mickfly

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:38 am

Well, speaking of Powerbait, Iv'e always been partial to watermellon red lizards with a chartreuse dipped tail.....

Oh wait, that's left over from my Fayette Lake bass fishing days! :D
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:41 am

Power Bait is certainly verboten on our leases, but it doesn't hurt to try an egg pattern once in awhile that has the same bright colors.
Mickfly

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:53 am

That was a joke.......since a powerbait thread was asked for :) Kids, please don't try this at home....I mean on the leases. Keep powerbait in the lakes where it belongs.
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

jamespelland

Post by jamespelland » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:56 pm

It's obvious why that bug is difficult to tie. Look closely, and you'll notice that Mercer actually uses a real bug, tied on with 12/0, then just ties on a couple beads and a little dubbing above it.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:27 pm

For me, I running out of my favorite wooly bugger and I will actually have to tie some up as I can't find them anywhere. #10 2x long hook, tungsten bead, with a peacock body, brown hackle, green/gold flashabou, and olive and brown maribou, it's a year round killer. Don't forget to mash down the barb to start. I've tied flys before and mashed the barb down afterwards only to break off the point of the hook, Oops. Jimbo