Fly Swap # 2

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

TugAddict

Fly Swap # 2

Post by TugAddict » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:50 pm

Ok guys, i suppose i have waited long enough. Trout Fest is over and it was truly a fabulous time. Met some great folks and caught a few fish to boot on Friday. The film tour Saturday night was amazing and I can't wait to wet my line again in two more weeks. I wish I could get on the water as much as you locals. I am jeleous.

Below I have Posted some new guidelines for the upcoming swap. I do have to admit I Plagerized them from Mark Dillow who I think did the Sake from Texas Kayak Fisherman. They are however very good guidline and I think most everyone will agree. One of the suggestions was to tye extra flies for the swap master but I dont want anyone to feel as thought they need to do that. That being said I would turn them down either. :P So read them Over and let me know what everyone thinks. I'm thinking we will do Nymph pattern this time, as we seemed to have a lot of Midges last time. This can be large nymphs like Stonflies, Helgramites, Hexaginias, or any pattern you choose.

So read on and get back to me. I would really like 12 tiers and I would also like to sell and extra set again either for project healing waters, casting for recovery, or even just for our own chapter. Your Thoughts?

Here is a good swap FAQ summary that I picked up somewhere along the way. I think that it originally came from someone on TKF. It's long, but it has everything you need to know to do a good swap. Fly swap guideline for tiers and swap masters:

1. A dozen tiers is about the perfect size.

2. A swap should be proposed by someone willing to act as the Swap master.

3. The Swap master should keep track of all tiers who commit to participating and when 12 are signed up, "close" the swap to new participants.

4. The Swap master should then post a list of who's in, what they've committed to tie, and what the deadline is.

5. Swaps are supposed to be fun, so deadlines should be realistic -- at least a month away from the time the swap is closed in most cases.

6. Flies should be mailed in large, rigid envelopes. The perfect way to ship flies into the Swap master is to put them in a plastic, inexpensive fly box with the tier’s TKF username and real name printed on it. Include a return envelope in the package, with your return address on it, and the same amount of postage as was required to ship your flies to the swap master. (Shipping fly boxes are a great idea, mainly because it insures that no hooks will poke through the paper envelopes and impale some poor postal worker, be sure to write your name on the box though!)

7. Make sure the return envelope is big enough to accommodate large flies! It's a shame for the swap master to have cram other tier’s' work into a small envelope. Some flies are quite long, have delicate tails, and need lots of room.

8. It's a nice gesture to include some information about the pattern you've tied, a recipe, etc.

9. Some tier’s put each fly into its own plastic sleeve.

10. Include an extra fly for the swap master as a courtesy, not mandatory, but a nice touch.

11. Try to make the deadline.

12. Put your screen name on the outside of the envelope when you ship it to the swap master.

13. Make an effort to show off your best work. Don't rush. Tying a dozen of the same pattern can be tedious, so don't do it all at once unless you're really determined or an efficient tyer. Try to tie something unique. Swaps are a great way to receive patterns you might never consider. That's not to say that a Deceiver/Clouser/common pattern isn't appreciated.

For the Swap master

1. Keep the swap informed by posting a thread with the subject line "SWAP [whatever title] Update." Spell out who's in, what they are tying, and any news.

2. Post a reminder a week before the deadline.

3. Post a list of what flies you've received as they arrive.

4. Keep the flies in their original envelopes in a safe place. I would recommend not opening any envelopes until they have all arrived.

5. When all the flies have arrived, find a big open space -- like a clear kitchen or dining room table and put down 12 pieces of 8.5x11 paper.

6. Write each tyers TKF name and real name on the bottom of each piece of paper.

7. Open the envelopes and carefully put each tyers contribution on their sheet of paper.

8. Keep the return envelopes in a stack.

9. Distribute the flies, one set at a time, between the 12 sheets of paper.

10. When they are all distributed. Carefully collect the flies and place them in the recipient’s fly box, sheet of foam, cardboard or whatever. Place that in the return envelope. DO NOT SEAL YET.

11. When all the return envelopes (11, the 12th being you, the swap master) are filled, check to see if there are any flies remaining to be sorted. If not, and if you think everything is good to go: seal the envelopes.

12. Take the bundle to the post office, mail it, and post a message saying the swap is in the mail. A photo of the set with a key to who tied what is a nice touch.

John W. Kelly

P.S. If anyone has anything they would like to add or discuss please let me know. This swap is intende to be fun, and is open to tyers of all skill levels. It's also a great way to get to know one another.
The Tug Is The Drug,

JWK

hanley

Re: Fly Swap # 2

Post by hanley » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:23 pm

I enjoyed the last swap and would like to play again. Unless you think it is too common, I would like to tie a flashback pheasant tail, size 18. This is a "go-to" pattern for me and produced at least on fish on my visit to the Guad before Troutfest.

TugAddict

Post by TugAddict » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:43 pm

That's a great pattern and i would love to have you tie it for us. I have also had success with it.

I hope to have 12 tyers this time and will give a month from the time of the last person signing up for everyone to complete their offering.

You are on the board!

Thank You!
JWK
The Tug Is The Drug,

JWK

flatfishcharlie

Post by flatfishcharlie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:44 am

Ok Im in. Still a "newbie" to this style of fly tying, but having fun with it nonetheless. I have been playing with a stonefly nymph pattern for a few weeks now. I saw it in a book a picked up, and I just had to tie it. I have done about 10 versions, and feel comfortable enough with it now to actually share.

I will post a pic, and material list soon.

FFC

kphelps.tx

Post by kphelps.tx » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:33 pm

Lately I have been having a lot of fun with some Two Bit Hookers so I'll tie some up for the swap.
Keith

riverrat88

Post by riverrat88 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:34 pm

I would like to give it a try as well. I am still somewhat a new tyer as well, but there are a few patterns that I can tye.

TugAddict

Post by TugAddict » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:48 pm

Keith I think you might be in the wrong forum for tying up two bit hookers!!! Sounds like fun though! 8)
The Tug Is The Drug,

JWK

TugAddict

Post by TugAddict » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:53 pm

RiverRat. We are glad to have you. We welcome tyers of all skill levels. Pick somthing your comfortable with or try somthing new, it's up to you. When you pick your pattern just let us know. Have fun!
The Tug Is The Drug,

JWK

riverrat88

Post by riverrat88 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:12 pm

I will tye up some zebra. If that ok?

thattedguy

Post by thattedguy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:44 am

I'm in. Put me down for some cream/flesh colored nymphskin beadhead midges. This fly has been the best fly for me this year on slow days when not even the old standby's are working. Not the best fly when they are feeding like normal but when they are slow and picky this fly seems to get them to bite. I'll get started tying them up this week but let me know the when's and where's (their a little labor intensive) so I can get them out on time.

Ted

TugAddict

Post by TugAddict » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:57 am

Awesome Ted, thanks! My thoughts were to get all 12 tyers lined up and the go a month from then. That way everyone has ample time. We have been a little slow getting going on this swap. There are some guys that expressed intrest that i have not heard back from. With your addition we should be at 5 tyers so far.
The Tug Is The Drug,

JWK

TugAddict

Post by TugAddict » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:35 pm

As you guys can see we are a little slow getting moving here. We're still in need of seven more tyers to reach our goal of 12. I would also have you guys thinking about what we could do for an extra set to donate and raise money for the club. If anyone has an idea they would like to share please feel free to do so.

Thanks,
The Tug Is The Drug,

JWK

dakusg

Post by dakusg » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:15 pm

I'm still in. I'll spin up some psycho prince nymphs. This fly hangs out with the two bit hooker on weekends.

Dakus

TARH2O

Post by TARH2O » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Well I just finished 57 flies for my buddies 57th birthday so whats another 13...

Besides I still have 1/2 a bottle of scotch to finish off.

I'll tie up some Llano Bug variants that make the pumpkins cry.

TugAddict

Post by TugAddict » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:36 pm

That sounds great. You'll have to incude some scotch for me as well to enjoy with the two bit hookers.
The Tug Is The Drug,

JWK