Feather-Craft's Ed Story passes away

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

mickmcco
Site Admin

Feather-Craft's Ed Story passes away

Post by mickmcco » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:22 pm

All:

Just wanted to inform you that one of my fly fishing and fly tying mentors, Ed Story, founder and owner of Feather-Craft in St. Louis, passed away in his sleep early Monday morning. Ed taught me to tie his signature fly, the Crackleback, and helped me with casting and many other aspects of fly fishing.

I posted the following note on another website:

Ed and the folks at Feather-Craft gave me my start in fly fishing and fly tying many years ago, so I never missed a chance to stop in and visit whenever I was back in St. Louis, or to chat when I called in an order.

My favorite Ed story occurred in my second year of fly fishing. I'd ordered a custom 7wt rod from another vendor and took it over to Feather-Craft's casting yard to test it out. Ed graciously agreed to accompany me outside and give it a try himself. I flailed with it a bit, then handed the rod to Ed. He calmly and smoothly worked out line until he was casting it all, timing his casts to miss the traffic moving along Manchester Road. Ever the kind-hearted diplomat, Ed handed the rod back to me and said: "Well, you won't be limited by your rod."

My condolences to Ed's wife Janelle, his son Bob, daughter Robyn, and all the staff at Feather-Craft. We've lost a real gentleman with his passing.

Ed, who was in his mid 70s, had battled back from a bout with cancer, then had a quadruple bypass in early March. He'd been back in the shop occasionally since his surgery, but then took a turn for the worse a couple of weeks ago. Still, it was a shock to those in the shop and all who knew him, since Ed seemed cheerful and vital to the end.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.