The New (Ex) Presidential Suite

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

LabRat

The New (Ex) Presidential Suite

Post by LabRat » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:12 pm

Some time back there was a thread concerning our respective tying areas. Several of us posted pics of our little corner of fly tying heaven, but we were all a bit envious of Ex Officio Mick's tying setup.

Well as most of you know, Mick moved to north Texas a few months back, and with a little urging he sent me the pics (with permission to post them) of his new digs.

So here for your viewing pleasure...

Mark Dillow

dlcole
Site Admin

Post by dlcole » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:55 pm

Are all those tubes flyrods? OMG... My So would kill me.
David

JBMajors

Post by JBMajors » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:45 am

When I die I hope this is where I go :wink:

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:01 am

This is the "ransom" my wife paid to drag me out of the Hill Country and away from the Guadalupe. If any of you are ever in the far northeast Dallas area and want to stop by and tie a few flies, you're welcome to join me.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:28 am

Gooollllllyyyyyy!

david

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:01 pm

Wow, my little corner refuge of the house doesn't compare to Mick's! But, as I missed out on posting our tying areas when this went around last year, I thought I would post it this time. It is small and simple, but serves my needs.

Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:02 am

Nice!
Is the shredder for the flies that fail quality control? :wink:
Mark Dillow

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:23 am

How does the shredder handle the hooks?

david

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:27 am

No Hooks or bad flies in the shredder. Actually, the shredder is just there because the rest of the room is our office/spare bedroom.....it does handle staples though :lol: The black 3 ring binder under the desk is my library of fly recipes in alphabetical order for easy reference. If I travel, I just put the vice in the flat square plastic container on the floor and I have all of my fly tying tools and materials in the two plastic containers on the floor, that can easily fit in a suitcase or travel bag. But, I have found that I generally do all of my tying at home before a trip, and am too busy fishing or sightseeing to have time to tie during the trip, so most times they stay at home. When I tie, I used to (and sometimes still do) put the larger plastic container on the desk (since it has almost everything I tie with in it) and then everything is right there. Lately, I will just lay out the materials & tools I need on the desk, and leave the plastic boxes on the floor out of the way. The picture of the brown trout underwater on the wall by the lamp is a painting I am working on. The rainbow on the wall is a realistic plastic replica I bought at Bass Pro. And the photos are some of my photography from Jackson Hole, to round out the mountain mood :D
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:35 am

Nice corner,

david

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:02 pm

BTW, one of the things I love about tying is learning about all the tips people have. On travel tying, one of my friends uses his baseball cap as a clippings basket when he ties at our friend's cabin in Creede.

He turns the hat upside down, slides it under the pedestal, and goes to work. Might not be original, but I thought it was a neat idea
Mark Dillow

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:17 pm

Interesting idea with the ball cap. I like reading about people's tips too. Here and there you pick up things that make the process faster and more efficient. One tip I read last fall was stacking a bunch of dear hair at one time (Guy Turk duct tapes three large hair stackers together so he can stack three large clumps at once) then you secure the stacked clumps with a rubber band or tying thread and merely clip off a small portion of the clump as needed for each fly. There was a real good article by Scott Sanchez in the next to most recent issue of Fly fishing and Tying Journal about tips to speed up your tying. Another I saw recently in a Kelly Galloup video is for cleaning underfur out of deer and elk hair. You mount a small comb or metal brissle brush on a holder that fits into a hole in your desk, so it is solid. Then you just drag the dear hair across the brush a couple of times and it is clean. A lot quiker than trying to comb it out by hand, but of course requires the clamp tool to do this. I still comb mine by hand as i don't do a ton of hair tying.
Thanks,

John Michael

dlcole
Site Admin

Post by dlcole » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:13 pm

If I lived close to the Guadalupe, I'm not sure any amount of ransom would/could drag me away...however, domestic tranquility is a nice thing to have around. I have a hobby room, custom built above our large garage, that houses several of my hobbies...it was built for amateur radio and now has a nice pub table with all my fly tying stuff on and around it. However, living in the DFW area, we are close to the fishing areas up in Oklahoma.

I was amazed at the number of fly rod tubes I see in the picture. I'm doing good to only have 3...however, I've only had this vice since Feb, 2007. The original seed was planted back in 2003 when I had the opportunity to ride along the Wind River in Utah on my Harley while returning from Sturgis. I guess those guys wading the river in search of trout left a much larger impression than I immediately remembered.

See all ya'll at Troutfest.
David

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:21 pm

I started slowly and simply, in March of 1996, but the whole thing quickly gathered momentum. I gave away my golf clubs to my eldest son and haven't looked back. The room houses my three passions -- fly fishing, fly tying, and photography. I moved from a large space in a separate building in our Boerne house to a single smaller space in this house, hence the need for lots of vertical storage. The left storage cabinet is tying stuff, the left two bookcases are fly fishing, the right bookcase and cabinet are photography.

I was doing OK on the rod thing until I bought the rod tube racks and my wife could easily count and multiply. It was better when they were all stuffed in a closet or a corner. I keep telling myself I'm going to thin down my rod or reel collection, but it never gets very far.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:52 pm

Just like me Mick; Fly Fishing, Fly Tying, and Photography. Do you have a photography website? What do you like to shoot? I have seen you with your camera gear, and it is much nicer than mine!! I just upgraded to a digital SLR from my film SLR a little over a year ago, and have a Canon 10D now. It works for me. I wish I could afford faster lenses. I am currently trying to find some time to work up a webpage so I can show others my photography.
Right now, the only way to see my photography is on our walls in our house. I do landscapes and wildlife, primarily, ....and mostly from out west. I have been looking at Zenfolio as a hosting site. I have seen some photographers' work there and it looks very professional for between $40 - $100 per year to have a web page with them.
Thanks,

John Michael