cape vs saddle

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

portalto

cape vs saddle

Post by portalto » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:06 pm

Am going to buy a couple of the JV Hens that have been talked about here for soft hackles. All the hen feathers I have already are capes. What would be the difference between capes and saddles for hen necks. Which have you bought and why? The sell both for the same price. Thanks in advance for the info.

Danny S

Post by Danny S » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:54 am

This site might help you out. It addresses dry fly capes and saddles, but I would think the difference for soft hackles would be the same. Primary difference is range of sizes available.

http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/Whitin ... thers.aspx

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:29 am

If you're talking about Conranch JV hen hackle, I strongly suggest the necks. They tie down to very small sizes, and, for the kind of fishing we do, you'll need those small sizes.

BTW, Conranch JV hen necks are fantastic.

Alex

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:33 am

I can second Alex's recommendation of Conranch Hackle. The product is great and the customer service is excellent.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

portalto

Conranch

Post by portalto » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:16 pm

Thanks for the info. Talked to Dennis and he explained how you get both a saddle and cape with him. The whole skin. He was very helpful and I ordered a black and a dun which he said really would make Nemes type soft hackles beautifully and took the time to explain exactly how to tie them. Quite a bargain at the price. Will let you know how they work.