White River Hooks

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

John M. White

White River Hooks

Post by John M. White » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:53 pm

Anyone know who makes Bass Pro's White River hooks? I have always used Tiemco, but at $5.45 for 25 compared to the White River at $2.99, I am tempted to try them. Comparitively, they look the same and are made in Japan. Anyone heard things good or bad about them? Is it worth the extra money for the Tiemco, or are they the same hook under a no name brand label?
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:27 pm

Don't know about the White River hooks, but you can get Tiemcos cheaper by buying boxes of hundreds online or on eBay. Usually $14-17 per hundred, and sometimes cheaper.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

EdN

Post by EdN » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:09 pm

I don't know about the white river hooks either but to throw another potato in the pot, if you got The Fly Shop catalogue for 2007 they were bragging on their in house hooks. In order to stay on their mailing list you are supposed to place an order during the calendar year and since its a pretty nice catalogue and sometimes companies follow through on their threats I called in an order on friday. their hooks are modeled after Tiemco and the numbering is the same as the tiemco 100 becomes the tfs100 all hooks 2.88 /25 or 10.93/100. The only rub is they still don't have all the hooks in stock so I'll see what I get.
EdN
When the going gets tough, the tough go fishing!

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:29 pm

Yes, I have the fly shop catalogue, and saw their hooks. They look great, but I am a little leary to shop from them because my first order was for hooks and beads and it took them about 5 different shipments over about 4 months for my order to arrive completely (it was for Tiemco hooks as opposed to their brand, and was in the middle of last summer and they were moving shops or something, but it didn't help me any). Maybe it was just bad timing, but I don't want a repeat. I will say that I have had very good luck with feather craft, and have placed probablt 10 orders now and never had a problem with slow orders or backordered items.
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:14 pm

I placed an order for The Fly Shop hooks in April, got a message in May that they were out of stock and would be back in stock in June or July, then in reply to a note I sent in August, said they would not be available until October or November, and I've heard nothing since.

I placed a call to them midway in all this correspondence to inform them I was moving and ask them to change the shipping address. At that time, the person I spoke with said they had not been satisfied in their first batch of hooks and were looking for a new supplier.

Hope you have better luck than I did. I've still not seen a single hook from that order.

My friends at Feather-Craft tell me that they've also had trouble this year getting hooks from Tiemco and feathers from Whiting. That has to be frustrating.
Mickfly

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:27 pm

Yeah, I think it was Tiemco that was moving their manufacturing facility or main office, and the only hooks available were those already in the shipping trucks or in store's stock rooms. At any rate, feathercraft has had Tiemco hooks when I ordered them, and otherwise I buy them off the shelf in stores to try and avoid this problem.
Thanks,

John Michael

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:55 pm

Dai-Riki hooks work well for me, too, and I see that "Gypsy Outdoors" on eBay has them for $8/hundred in several useful styles and sizes. I've used the Dai-Riki 270s, 135s, 125s, 300s and 730s and found they work just fine, at a fraction of the Tiemco price.
Mickfly

Danny S

Post by Danny S » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:15 pm

I have been using White River hooks for some applications and rather like them. Just have to be careful of the size, e.g., the 2X nymphs are REAL close to Tiemco 1X hooks. I too like Tiemco, but they can get expensive unless you order in bulk. Also, an employee in the Cabela's fly shop told me their hooks are made by Tiemco. A bit cheaper with their name on them.

dale_connally

Post by dale_connally » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:11 pm

I been buying Dai-Riki's from Gypsy on Ebay for a couple of years. Great guy, great hooks.
Dale

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:12 am

Interesting Danny, I also picked up some Cabela's hooks to try out.
Thanks,

John Michael

Danny S

Post by Danny S » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:23 am

I did do some Tiemco-Cabela's comparisons and they actually seem identical. The one hook they (Cabela's) irritate me with is one of their dry fly hooks (Model 4). The description on the package says "dry fly hook, wide gape, down-turned eye, 1X fine." In actuality, it's a straight eye, like Tiemco's 101. I have told Cabela's employees about this at least three times over the last couple of years, yet I saw the hooks the other day at the Ft Worth store and they remain mislabeled. I DO like their barbless dry fly hooks (Model 2).

I have also seen extreme differences in hook size. If you get the chance, compare a Tiemco #20 dry fly with a Mustad #20 (model 98480). I don't mean just the gape, but the overall size. The Mustad is actually closer to a #22 Tiemco. I was tying some more midge patterns for a fly shop and bought some Tiemco 100s #20. I had previously tied them on Mustad's #20 supplied by the fly shop. Needless to say, I had to switch back to the Mustad's because of the obvious size difference. Figured that if those I tied before are productive, changing the size even that slightly might mean the difference between a fly that works and one that does not.

Live and learn!

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:36 pm

Just heard from Tim Fox, Retail Manager at The Fly Shop, who informed me that they had to replace their manufacturer for their store brand hooks and plan to have their shipment arrive by January 18th. He thought it would take about three days to get all the back orders shipped, so I should be able to let you know how the hooks look in time for the January GRTU meeting.
Mickfly

EdN

Post by EdN » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:33 pm

This will be interesting, maybe. I placed my order with a guy named Sandy who said they had a couple of the hooks I wanted in stock, he thought. So I could be getting some from their old supplier and some of the Fly Shop's new hooks when they fill their back orders. I hope the comparison will be interesting as opposed to disappointing.
EdN

EdN

Post by EdN » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:46 pm

After semi-badmouthing The Fly Shop, I probably should have posted a message a few weeks ago as I received all the hooks I ordered from them. They look exactly like Tiemco, use the same numbers and if you put the same style and size side by side you can't tell the difference. They tie up nicely and I've caught fish on them so at 2.88/25 they are not a bad deal. Also they extended their offer where if you order 10 packs you get the 11th one free.
EdN

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:27 pm

I finally got an order from The Fly Shop as well. Unfortunately, it was only a partial order and the majority of what I ordered (and really wanted the most) were classified as "this model is no longer available," meaning they were never available in the first place.

I'll not be ordering any more hooks from them.

My best recent luck on hooks was to walk into The Reel Life in Santa Fe last week when they were having a two for one closeout on all their Dai-Riki hooks. I walked away with 1400 hooks at less than 6 cents apiece.
Mickfly