Guad Area Fly Shops

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

dlcole
Site Admin

Guad Area Fly Shops

Post by dlcole » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:58 pm

I'm headed to the River this weekend for a week of fishing. If I need a refresh of my fly stuff, where are the good fly shops? I know about Gruene and Cabelas. I hear there is another shop in Austin? Where else?

Thanks.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:50 pm

It depends on where you are, first in Gruene, Gruene Outfitters has everything you need for the Guadalupe and the Coast, and on the river but only open on weekends in Action Angler at the third crossing is a small shop with the essentials. In San Antonio Tackle Box on North New Braunfels is a total shop with expert advise on the hows, whens, and wheres. In Austin there is Sportsman's Finest out 2244/71, again experts man this store and if they don't have it, you probably don't need it, but they will order it anyway. There are the big stores like Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, and Sportsman's Warehouse, but I find their variety and advise not much to my liking and l tend to stay away from them and support the smaller speciality stores. The speciality shops usually have better or the same equipment and much better advise. Support your local fly shop or we will lose them forever! Jimbo

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:50 pm

Last I was in Greune Outfitters, Gruene Outfitters was selling out of their fly fishing stuff (or at least tying stuff). I think they are primarily a clothing store now for the tourists. Action Angler is on River Road at the Third crossing. It is your closest bet and open only on weekends. Cabela's is in Buda, TX. Bass Pro Shop is on I-10 just north of 1604 in San Antonio. Sportsman's Finest is a GREAT shop, located in Bee Caves, TX west of Austin, but is the furthest of all away from the Guad. Also, there is Sportsman's Warehouse in Austin (Round Rock) that has a good fly fishing department, and one on 1604 and 281 area in San Antonio (I haven't been to the one in San Antonio, so not sure if they have a good fly fishing department or not).
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:54 pm

As far as Gruene Outfitters, yes they are selling down some of their equipment, but Tiffany, the owner, tells me that soon they will open the rear room with lots of new stuff and it will be flyfishing only! Jimbo

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:15 am

Really! She owns the store now? I thought Ray Box owned it, did he sell it to her? That is sweet that they will be investing in Flyfishing gear and such again.
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:24 am

Yes, Tiffany Fluitt, our New Braunfels Area GRTU Membership Rep, is the new owner of Gruene Outfitters. I heard the same news that Jimbo did, that she'd be expanding the fly fishing section into what had been their storeroom in the back of the shop. Tiff does a great job for us and is a real asset to flyfishers on the river.

If you're in Austin, Sportsman's Finest on Bee Caves Road is a top of the line fly shop, with some of the best resident experts in the area (Joe Robinson, Kevin Hutchinson, Ted Mendrek, etc.) They, too, are great supporters of our chapter -- I never seem to walk out of their empty-handed since they're always giving me a few more raffle or door prize items for our meetings.

For the weekend angler, Chris Jackson's Action Angler, located at Third Crossing, tries to make sure they have what Guadalupe trout fishers need, from waders and tackle to flies specifically chosen for the tailwater. Chris is now also allowing parking in his lot and access to the river at Third Crossing for a $5 fee.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

CSJ

Post by CSJ » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:12 am

I was glad to hear that she was getting some tying stuff back in. She is only 10 minutes away versus driving to San Antonio or Buda.

fish and teach

Guad Area Fly Shops

Post by fish and teach » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:45 pm

I was at Gruene Outfitters last weekend. The area in the back corner of the store for the flyfishing stuff was all SHOES! Man was I disgusted. But then a small glimmer of light. They have converted a back room of the shop to the flyfishing area. A whole room!!! They weren't finished with it when I went in the Monday (yes I played hooky from school :oops: ), but they are planning to have it opened this weekend. They're great folks there, and I love the yellow lab that patrols the place. (Just don't bend over to look at something when she's behind you!!!) It's a great place and our support can help keep it going.

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:57 pm

Sounds sweet. I will look forward to stopping in and seeing the new and improved Gruene Outfitters.
Thanks,

John Michael

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:07 pm

The lab's name is Sage. Get it?
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:13 pm

I wish I had a dollar for every dog named Sage or Duke... I could finally retire! Jimbo

bhigdon

Post by bhigdon » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:13 pm

The newly expanded Gruene Outfitters is opening the new fly fishing area this weekend. It is bigger than the old area with lots of new stuff.

This weekend is their open house (12/15).

TroutDog

Post by TroutDog » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:53 pm

"Last I was in Greune Outfitters, Gruene Outfitters was selling out of their fly fishing stuff (or at least tying stuff). I think they are primarily a clothing store now for the tourists. Action Angler is on River Road at the Third crossing. It is your closest bet and open only on weekends. Cabela's is in Buda, TX. Bass Pro Shop is on I-10 just north of 1604 in San Antonio. Sportsman's Finest is a GREAT shop, located in Bee Caves, TX west of Austin, but is the furthest of all away from the Guad. Also, there is Sportsman's Warehouse in Austin (Round Rock) that has a good fly fishing department, and one on 1604 and 281 area in San Antonio (I haven't been to the one in San Antonio, so not sure if they have a good fly fishing department or not)."

Greune moved and remolded its fly shop to the back of where it was before. They are in business and in good stock. Great place to visit.

Danny S

Post by Danny S » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:46 am

Jimbo Roberts wrote:I wish I had a dollar for every dog named Sage or Duke... I could finally retire! Jimbo
Yes, this is off topic, but a serious sign of inflation. Remember when someone would day "if I had a NICKLE" for everytime I........" HA!

I'll have to try to make it in to their shop. Some things I need for tying, I can only locate on-line, or make the drive up to Buda. Hoping maybe Gruene Outfitters will have some of the items.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:23 am

Danny S wrote:
Jimbo Roberts wrote:I wish I had a dollar for every dog named Sage or Duke... I could finally retire! Jimbo
Yes, this is off topic, but a serious sign of inflation. Remember when someone would day "if I had a NICKLE" for everytime I........" HA!

I'll have to try to make it in to their shop. Some things I need for tying, I can only locate on-line, or make the drive up to Buda. Hoping maybe Gruene Outfitters will have some of the items.

Well I want a dollar for every dog named Sage or Duke because I want to retire today! Anyway back to the local flyshops may I again suggest the smaller speciality flyshops rather than the big box stores like: Tackle Box in San Antonio, Gruene Outfitters in New Braunfels, Action Angler on River Road, and Sportsman's Finest in Austin. These stores will give you better information about local fisheries, better ideas about tackle, flys, and fly tying materials because they are maned by local knowledgable anglers. Another thing if they don't have what you want they will usually order it for you. I frequent these shops because if we don't we may loose the smaller shops all together and then we will only have the Big Box stores which aren't as good as helping anglers and especially those new to the sport understand the local fisheries and what it takes to be successful. Believe it or not we are loosing ground on the percentage of new people who start and continue fishing (and hunting) each year. If this trend continues the state wildlife and fishies management will loose their monetary base because of declining liscense sales. We need the young people out there to want to try fishing instead of other activies like electronic games if our outdoor sports are to continue to thrive. Jimbo
Last edited by Jimbo Roberts on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.