Guad Area Fly Shops

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Danny S

Post by Danny S » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:55 am

Truer words are not spoken Jimbo. Some things I've witnessed in the big stores: sell a customer flies with a caveat phrase like --"it should work there"; "we don't have much turnover of that material so we don't sell it"--and no offer to try to get it for you. I've gone to local fly shops and either find what I need or get an offer to have it ordered. Can't ask for more than that.

mopar340

Post by mopar340 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:13 pm

Bill Higdon and Jake have FORGOTTEN more about fly fishing than Cabela's will ever know, and besides that, Tiffany looks a helluva lot better than those goobers. 8)
"if it's good to ya, it HAS to be good for ya"

darylm

dog

Post by darylm » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:47 pm

Come to think of it, I too had a dog named duke when I was a kid.
God Bless, Daryl

Roofish

Post by Roofish » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:43 am

Here's my Lab and his name is not "Sage or Duke", it's "Sir Maximus Desimus Meridius" or "Max" for short, this picture was taken in Colorado, but "Sir Max" is from Giddings, Texas...he's all TEXAN :)
Roofish

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:29 pm

Oops..... As far as speciality Fly Shops I forgot to mention Livivng Waters up in Round Rock. It's a small shop, brand new and expanding. I met the owner Chris Johnson and talked to him for awhile. He is very knowledgable and guides on area streams/rivers. I told him about my favorite flys and had him tie some up for me when I couldn't find them anywhere. They turned out great! Thanks again Chris! Jimbo

Fish4Fish

Post by Fish4Fish » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:07 pm

Roofish wrote:Here's my Lab and his name is not "Sage or Duke", it's "Sir Maximus Desimus Meridius" or "Max" for short, this picture was taken in Colorado, but "Sir Max" is from Giddings, Texas...he's all TEXAN :)
Leader of the northern army of the filex flanks, husband of a murder wife, father of a murdered son, .... and I will have my vengeance in this life or the next.

You are a scholar and a gentleman good sir with great ideas. I'd like to subscribe to your thoughts!

Roofish

Post by Roofish » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:23 pm

Fish4Fish wrote:
Roofish wrote:Here's my Lab and his name is not "Sage or Duke", it's "Sir Maximus Desimus Meridius" or "Max" for short, this picture was taken in Colorado, but "Sir Max" is from Giddings, Texas...he's all TEXAN :)
Leader of the northern army of the filex flanks, husband of a murder wife, father of a murdered son, .... and I will have my vengeance in this life or the next.

Not sure what your last sentence means?

You are a scholar and a gentleman good sir with great ideas. I'd like to subscribe to your thoughts!
Roofish

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:59 pm

Fish4Fish wrote:

Gladiator was a very good movie! Probably even better than the original on which it was Based "Fall of the Roman Empire".
Jimbo

TroutMedic

Re: Guad Area Fly Shops

Post by TroutMedic » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:35 pm

I normally don't like to go to Bass Pro because it seems that they push what the other stores around the country are pushing and not what is working in this area so when I go there it is usually a means to an end. With that being said I have found one employee in the fly shop to be extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and honest. He will tell you what is really working. He doesn't have the salesman's attitude and will even take the time to show you how to tie if you are getting stuck. He will also get the stuff you need or tell you where you can get it so you aren't wasting your time.

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:19 pm

David

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:52 am

Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

castell

Post by castell » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:18 am

I had a brief conversation with Jake @ Gruene Outfitters yesterday and he said that they expect to have in a new batch of trout flies early next week.

Chris at Action Angler has quite a selection of trout flies in at this time and is good about doing reorders and requests. There were a few times last season when I was running low on a certain pattern and he was able to get them into the shop very quickly.

jchristensen77

Re:

Post by jchristensen77 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:45 pm

mopar340 wrote:Bill Higdon and Jake have FORGOTTEN more about fly fishing than Cabela's will ever know, and besides that, Tiffany looks a helluva lot better than those goobers. 8)
HaHa... too funny....yet insanely true!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~><~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
><~}}}}]]*>
><~}}}}]]*>