Fly Tying with Jig Heads (Powder Paint Question)

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Brad

Fly Tying with Jig Heads (Powder Paint Question)

Post by Brad » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:45 pm

I saw a technique for tying flies using lead jig heads but the demo that I saw used powder paint to color match the head to the body of the fly. You were supposed to head the jig head, dip it in the powder paint, and then heat it again and the paint would "liquify" and coat the head. The paint makes the jig head nice and hard. Does anyone know where I can buy the powder paint? I have checked Hobby Lobby but they only had the stuff that you add water to. Thanks for the help.

Brad

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:08 pm

Powder Coat as it's called is an Automotive speciality paint. It's not a simple process. Most of the automotive applications I've seen used an electrostatic charged sprayer to spray the powder on the metal surface. The metal receiving the paint must also be oppositely charged so the powder adhears to the surface. It is then baked at high temperatures to cure the paint. The result is many times more durable than conventional paints, but it is not a simple process as I've seen it. Then again I've only seen automotive applications. Jimbo

Brad

Post by Brad » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:19 am

Yeah, I have heard of the powder coating process in the automotive sector. As a matter of fct I was doing some reasearch on it a few years back for a project car that I was working on. I think that the theory behing that is being applied towards this but at a much simpler level. I found the link for the write up that I have copied below. You can get the video podcast that I watched by searchin iTunes for "Fly Fish Ohio,: or using the video link on the page that is listed below.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Rootbeer_Roundhead.htm

Brad

Post by Brad » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:15 am

Hey Everyone,

I found out that Sportsman's Warehouse sells multiple colors of the powder pint that I am looking for. I am goign to get some and start to play with tying some new patters for small mouth and maybe even soe new one for the white bass run for next spring. I'll post some pics when I am done.

Brad