tying supplies

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

d ayer

tying supplies

Post by d ayer » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:39 pm

Does anyone know of a website, forum, book, etc with which I can cross reference a list of fly ingredients(hackle, deer hair, beads, etc), a get a list of flies that can be tied with those supplies? I am new to tying and I look at the supplies and the finished flies but don't know enough to put the two together. How to get from point A to point B.

thanks in advance for any info

David

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:51 pm

David:

Lots of places to start. One option is a good beginning tying book, like Skip Morris's Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple.

Another is a website like Fly Anglers Online (www.flyanglersonline.com). Click on "Fly Tying" on the left hand column, go to "Basic Tying Kit" for an introduction to tools and materials, then to "Beginning Tying" to actually put those tools and materials together to make a fly. Also at the top left corner of the home page is a "Fly of the Week." Click on that to get specific tying materials and steps for that fly, then notice on the page for this week's fly, on the upper right, are links to "Previous Flies" -- a whole catalog of flies from previous weeks, and "Fly Tying Terms" -- a handy reference for a word you may not understand.

Or, you could just ask those of us on this bulletin board about a particular fly or about what flies could be tied from particular kinds of materials.

Just let us know if we can help any further.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

d ayer

tying supplies

Post by d ayer » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:41 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I used to have Fly Anglers website bookmarked on a previous computer. Lots of info.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:30 pm

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... 07633&x=54

this is still a very nice tying tutorial and a very large index of patterns for a good price.
Ron Mc

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:49 pm

http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/ssmaterials/

Here's a great article iv found on what to look for when buying materials, and what each material is good/bad for.