Mail Order Tying Materials?

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

John M. White

Mail Order Tying Materials?

Post by John M. White » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:35 pm

I know of Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Dan Bailey's, but do y'all have any specialty shops that are THE PLACE to mail order tying materials from? I'm looking for the Mother of All Mail Order Tying Shops that would have anything and everything you could possibly want. It seems like all the other shops seem to always be missing something I want or need, wrong size, etc.
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:26 pm

i would also like to know..

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:11 pm

I've had my best luck, over the years, with Feather-Craft (www.feather-craft.com) in St. Louis and Bob Marriott's (www.bobmarriotts.net) in Los Angeles. I prefer the personal service I get from Feather-Craft and the huge inventory I find a Bob Marriott's. Another place that's got a high quality selection of materials is Stone River Outfitters in New Hampshire, which recently absorbed Hunter's Angling Supplies (www.stoneriveroutfitters.com).

Others I will buy from regularly are Dan Bailey's, Kaufmann Streamborn, The Fly Shop (Redding, CA), Blue Ribbon Flies, and Waters West (Arctic Fox).
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:27 am

Thanks Mick!
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

spiny norman

Post by spiny norman » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:48 am

Hook and Hackle is good on selection but can be bad about back orders and communication. If you aren't in a hurry they are ok but if it's something you need to prepare for a trip, I would consider another outfit.
Death, taxes and leaky waders.

chrisbaumbach

Post by chrisbaumbach » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:18 pm

I agree with Mick's choice of The Fly Shop. Since you're in Austin have you checked with Sportsmen's Warehouse and Adam's Outlet?

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:33 am

Yes, I rechecked Sportsman's warehouse. I never went there before, because when they first opened they didn't have much of anything and I wasn't impressed. I went back last week, and they have a pretty darn good selection of fly tying materials and fishing supplies. I was impressed. Still, their hook selection looked a little low. But, I think I can get some things there, just not some specialty or hard to find items. I have heard of adams outlet, but haven't been there. Isn't is mostly odds and ends he sells on ebay and in his store? I was impressed with The Fly Shop and place my order there.
Thanks,

John Michael

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:44 am

The Fly Shop is a great place to visit and now has a big, magazine-sized catalog to match their large inventory. I'm pretty certain they have the widest selection of flies of any internet or catalog retailer. I seldom buy flies from them, but I love looking at their selection to give me new ideas for things to tie.

This year, they are cooperating with Targus to market their own line of hooks. They use the same style number as Tiemco hooks and sell theirs for about 70% of what you'd pay for the others. As most of you know, hooks and beads can be the costliest part of a fly, so anything you can save there will certainly reduce your costs.

WARNING: Don't ever try to calculate the cost per fly of those you tie and compare it to what you might pay a fly shop for those flies. You'll always be disappointed in the result and may even get in trouble at home for all that you are spending on materials. I find it is much better not to know that information, so it can't slip out during interrogation.
Mickfly

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:11 am

For less expensive beads and cones, in the widest selection of sizes and quantities, go to The Fish Guy at www.thefishguy.net. I've been buying from him for years and have been very pleased with both the quality and price of his merchandise. And, as far as I know, he is the only place to get really small (1.5mm) beads in colors other than gold.
Mickfly

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:50 am

I tried out The Fly Shop, and I have used them before to order flies, but my first order of materials has been strung out over 4 weeks or so because most of the items were on backorder, and two still are. Standard items like midge hooks and tungsten beads. Have y'all had a problem with them having a lot of backorders, or is this just a fluke thing that happened to me the first time I ordered tying supplies from them?
Thanks,

John Michael

spiny norman

Post by spiny norman » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:32 pm

I was surfing around and came across "angler'svice.com", Anyone ever try them?

spiny norman

Post by spiny norman » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:14 am

UPDATE.

Just recieved my first order from Angler's Vice. Very impressive. Ordered about 15 items, all arrived packed well with nothing on backorder. They also combined two orders to save me on the shipping. :D My only beef was that they packed a couple of small items in the same packing material as the rest of the fill and I allmost threw them in the trash.