How do you think these flies would do on the Guad?

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

John M. White

How do you think these flies would do on the Guad?

Post by John M. White » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:05 pm

Ron, Mick, Jimbo, Alan, and others:

I've been doing a little tying with the last couple of days off due to the weather. I came up with a couple of creations, basicly just variations on little and small. How do y'all think these would do on the Guad? Also, on the blue/black wire tail version, do you think that would work ok on the Guad? I have seen some blue nymphs in fly stores in Colorado, and was just curious. I thought it might give a little extra sparkle and be different. These are size 16 on a TMC 2487 hook.

Solid Black Tail version:

Blue Black Tail version

Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:43 pm

Those will work. Now tie them smaller (18-22) and in red or chartreuse, too. I find the 2488 or 2488H hooks work well for these flies.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:01 pm

Yep I think those will work, but you will have to ask the fish for the final word. Maybe try using a smaller leg material, such as centipede legs (mini size) , or flexi floss. And like mick said go with a smaller hook.

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:53 pm

O.k. will plan on tying them smaller for sure. I figured with the hook being a 2x short it would be similar to a normal size 18, is that not right? This is definitely the largest size I was thinking of. I think this is the smallest size centipede legs, it's the same thickness as Ultra Wire's BR size copper wire. Are their any that are thinner? Thanks for your comments and suggestions :D
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:24 pm

you are correct about the hook size.
I believe you'll rip their lips with that fly.
nice job on the barbs. :D
Ron Mc

castell

Post by castell » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:28 pm

If memory serves, a 2x short shank on a size 16 hook has a the shank length of a size 20, with a 16 gape.

"How much shorter or longer are we talking about? READ CLOSELY NOW! A 1X short hook has a shank that is equal to a standard length shank on a hook that is one size smaller. On the other hand, a 1X long hook has a shank that is equal to a standard length shank on a hook that is one size larger. In other words, a 1X long #8 hook has a #8 gape and a shank that is equal to a #6 hook. (Hooks only come in even numbered sizes, so one size smaller than 8 is size 6)."

Take from http://www.fedflyfishers.org/materials.php

No matter the semantics, the fly looks like a killer.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:39 pm

Looks good enough to fish before you retire it. I'm a fan of rubber legs and as long as it has a pointed hook I'll fish it. Then again I'll try anything on the Guadalupe. Jimbo

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:21 pm

Im not sure what legs you used, but here are some that I use maade by Montana Fly Company, they are pretty thin. They also make alot of diffrent colors and about 4-5 diffrent sizes.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog. ... ly%20Tying

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:20 am

Yep, that's the same material I used. It is tiny. The Macro photo picture setting on my camera really blows them up and captures tiny detail. In the picture, they do look like the much thicker standard size rubber legs you see in most fly shops and would use on large wooly buggers, chernobyl ants, etc.
Thanks,

John Michael

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:26 pm

Hey John, nice to meet you today. How'd you do?
Ron Mc

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:27 pm

Nice to meet you too Ron. How did you do today? I can't remember if you told me earlier or not. We didn't do anything..... We fished Gardo's and Jak's. I was feeling skunked as we left..... But at least it was a beautiful day on the water and was nice to get out and get to fish(or practice my casting :lol: ). For some reason, I always seem to do better in the later Spring. Also stopped in at Cabelas on the way down and got some chartreuse wire for the flies on this thread. I want to tie some with black/chartreuse and red/black wire tails like Mick suggested.
Thanks,

John Michael

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:58 pm

I had 8 to hand for the day and had 2 others on long enough to count.
Big fish this morning, four 16-18" and another that really plowed upriver, turned, charged, swam S's - could tell by his head shakes he was a big fish. He was on for 5 minutes and was very close when finally shook the fly out - never brought him high enough to see, though.

Nobody in my group was skunked, but it was a fairly tough day. My fly for the day was a soft hackle version of a flashback pheasant tail - abdomen tied like a pheasant tail, thorax of twisted green flashabou, and a soft hackle collar. I was following my partners upriver and took a fish out of each pod on this fly. I posted about the fly on the sparkle nymph thread, along with a photo of one of the larger trout.

We were leaving when I saw you, but I saw huge caddis coming off both at Gardos and Guad Landing this afternoon.
Ron Mc

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:47 pm

Sounds like the wet flies on the swing is the ticket right now. I'll have to try that next time. I did double nymph rig and indicator today. I thougt about switching to the full sink line and big olive buggers and streamers to dredge the deep holes, but didn't. I take a little comfort in hearing you say it was a relatively tough day. Of course 8 any day would be a great day for me. Just have to keep learning those spots and unlock the secrets of this river.
Thanks,

John Michael