Posting pics??

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

John M. White

Posting pics??

Post by John M. White » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:35 pm

How are y'all posting pictures? I can't seem to attach pictures within the message body. If i have a picture saved to my desktop, how do I post it in the message?
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:10 pm

1) you need a photoserver - I use www.photobucket.com - it's free, up to 1Gb.

2) Crop and Resize your photos so that they're no larger than 700-800 pixels wide - make sure you resave with a new name so that you don't wipe out your original high res image. (larger photos will post, but they really screw up scrolling on a thread and lock the computers of people on dialup)
The photo I'm posting below is 500 pixels wide.

3) Upload into photo bucket.
4) click on the URL link for your photo.
photobucket automatically copies the URL argument for you.
(http:...)

5) paste it here in the text box, highlight it, and click on the Img button above the text box.
the argument for your photo will look like
[img]http:...[/img]

oh, and make sure you scroll to the end of the image argument line and hit a return (enter) or it stacks you subsequent photos or text to the side and this also screws up the thread scrolling

viola

Serendipity
size 18 scud hook
X-small bead (copper or glass - that's actually orange, my colors were screwed up on fluorescent lights today)
tail and wing - continuous strands of antron twisted and covered in thread (clip to length when the fly is done)
body - midge lace
easy
Ron Mc

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:17 pm

Thanks for the instructions on posting pics. Here is my fist attempt at the Serendipity. I didn't have any Zlon, so I tried using dubbing. Didn't get the segmented affect for the body, but oh well. I decided to name it......
the "Serendipi-not!" What do y'all think? Hopefully the trout will still like it!

Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:39 pm

looks good to me - you could probably get the segments by using a dubbing loop. I just use hackle pliers for that. Pull down a piece of thread from the bobbin, grab it with the pliers, wrap the thread back over the hook, put in your dubbing and spin until it starts to kink - remember winding up rubber-band airplanes? You can make dubbing out of all kinds of materials with it - the leftovers of marabou, etc.

I do something similar on this Swimming BWO - another pattern I found in Fly Tyer a few years ago. The body is a twisted strand of flashabou:

this is about my most productive fly - not this year, but in previous years, it has taken trout all through the summer for me.
Swimming BWO
size 18 scud hook
XS copper bead
tail - pheasant tail fibers or hackle fibers
body - a strand of green flashabou doubled over and twisted
(I tie it in at the middle of the flashabout strand, pull the two halves back, twist together tight using hackle pliers and wrap forward)
collar - dubbed fur
when BWO's are hatching, trout impale themselves on the swing
Ron Mc

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:47 pm

I grabbed some flies from the midge box today and stuck them on the vise to provide examples for my friend, who's tying flies to come down in a few weeks. I was rushing them out and didn't work on the lighting , but the photos do the job.
Here's my favorite thread midge, uses one strand of flashabou for a trailing shuck

Image (the bead is really orange - like I said about the light....)
Ron Mc

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:57 pm

Thanks for the tip on the dubbing loop. I've rerad about how that is done, but never tried it that way. I'll give it a shout and see how it turns out.
Thanks,

John Michael

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:16 pm

Here's another one I tied last year that worked well. My variation of the crystal midge

This one was size 22.
Thanks,

John Michael

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:01 am

Oh man..... don't show that to everybody. You guys are showing everybody all the flies I've been using. Now everybody will use them and the Trout will get used to them..... A guy can't keep any secrets anymore..... Ha Ha Ha !!! Ron I tied up some of those Larva Lace Midges and I couldn't get the Lace tag to disappear after I trimed them, what's your secret..... Jimbo

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:10 am

Interestingly enough, I read an article in the latest Fly Fishing and Tying Journal about changing up your flies and doing something different to the standard fly to make it stand out to the trout. That way, you evolve the pattern and it is still mostly the same "standard" pattern, but with a few slight differences. Basicly, always keep showing the fish something new.
Thanks,

John Michael

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:11 am

Sorry to give away all your secret flies Jimbo.... :oops:
Thanks,

John Michael

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:22 am

I guess I'll just have to live with it..... Ha Ha Ha. On another note I can the days back in the 70's when it seems that I was just about the only one down on the Guadalupe River wade fishing for Trout with a flyrod. I used to tell the guys at Austin Angler about my success. Then I told them about a few holes that I regularly fish and sure enough they started to get popular to the point where fishermen would fish those areas and much of the rest of the river was open. Everybody knew about the Hole at the bridge at Rio but then they started to gang up in the hole just above the weir and I knew I had opened my mouth once too often. Yes over the years this has become one popular fishing destination and we must all get along with all the anglers to enjoy our fine fishing. So be courteous and don't hog the holes. I may be the angler above you trying to fish it too. Jimbo

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:35 am

That's kind of the catch 22 I guess. New guys need info and help to learn, yet that brings more people and competition for the fish, and the good spots. I for one sure appreciate all the help and info y'all have shared over the years.
Thanks,

John Michael

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:45 pm

Hey JM, pinch those barbs !!!

:mrgreen:
Ron Mc

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:18 pm

Oh, I do fish barbless on all my flies. I normally mash all my hooks before tying them, but didn't do it yet on some of them. But i definitely make sure they're mashed beofre fishing them :D
Thanks,

John Michael

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:16 am

Yeap, there's nothing like tying a beautiful fly, which takes about 20 minutes for me, and then mashing down the barb and having the point of the hook break off. I thought that it was a freak occurance the first time it happened, but the second time it happened I was embarrassed. I had two prefectly tied flys that could not be fished. I learned my lesson and mash those barbs down first and then tie the fly. Jimbo