Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Ron Mc

sparkle nymph

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:19 pm

size 16 sproat hook
krystal flash tail
larva lace body
soft hackle collar (bobwhite)
I rushed this out - the pocket in my midge box was empty.
A bit heavy on the soft hackle - that was a big one for a bobwhite's back -but it will loose some on fish - again and again.
I was fishing them last week until they had no soft hackle left.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:55 pm

Looks mighty tastie, what flavors do they come in?......I think even I can tie this one!!! Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:17 pm

any color larva lace you have around. I mentioned on the other thread I'm using insect green, light olive, rusty brown and this orange brown.

of course now that I showed you, I'll have to kill you.

Ron Mc

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:28 pm

There goes our rain dancer! :wink:
Mark Dillow

portalto

Post by portalto » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:24 pm

Caught 5 on the insect green with grizzly hen hackle at Guadalupe Landing but haven't had any luck (maybe it takes skill) on the other colors. The old olive serendipity has made a comeback as I caught 7 or 8 fish on it at Gardos.

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:55 pm

Thanks, Ron! Those pictures of the flies you post and the fish you catch on them keep us all at the tying bench or wishing we were fishing.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:17 pm

that electric insect green larva lace is a secret weapon in anybody's flybox.

Mick, I put a bunch together today for Whit to tie in the next couple of weeks. I already posted my Serendipity here (well, not really mine, it's a Dave Hughes pattern)
http://www.grtu.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1381
Ron Mc

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:30 pm

woah, tough day.
The fish are spreading out and starting to cue on the drift.
I did not have a fish to hand, although I hooked up 5 and ran them around for long distance releases.
Still got many strikes on sparkle nymphs but they were tough to hook up.
Also got strikes on swimming BWO.
Fished several spots and several holes in each - they would give me one strike on a fly and that was it.

My buddy took 11 fish on propeller buggers. (pistol pete?)
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:54 am

Yeap, Wooly Buggers I know well and wooly buggers with propellers are Pistol Pete's. I have seen any of those in years. They do work, but I never really did any better with them in clear water than with a regular Wooly Bugger. In off colored water I could see them working better as they would put out more vibration than a plain Wooly Bugger. Still I don't carry any in my box anymore. I still have some Halibrant(Spelling?) clip on spinners in gold and silver but I don't carry them on a regular basis either. They do come along when I'm White Bass fishing as the water is often off colored when the rivers are running in the springtime. Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:10 pm

althought I caught four of these early on sparkle nymphs (all four were 16" to 18"),

the fly of the day turned out to be a wet fly variation on a flashback pheasant tail.
The abdomen of the fly is tied just like a pheasant tail. The thorax is twisted green flashabou, with a partridge soft hackle.
I followed my partners over heavily fished water and caught trout out of every pod with this wet fly.
Down and across wet fly swings with the BS 100 slow sinker.
I actually tried floating line w/ a double nymph rig for the length down from one spot, but every stike I was getting was at the bottom of the swing, so I went back to the sinker.
There were big caddis coming off everywhere this afternoon - size 12.
Ron Mc

bassackwards

That sparkle nymph saved my day

Post by bassackwards » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:14 am

I tied up a few with red ultrawire, since I didn't have any larva lace. That was the only fly that worked for me on Sunday, when the water was a bit murky. Thanks for sharing the pattern!

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:08 pm

Ron,

Are you trailing a midge behing the #16 sprakle nymph, or are you fishing it solo?
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:47 pm

hi John, no just fishing the single wet fly on a sinking line (with a short leader).

I also use it as my attractor on a double-nymph rig sometimes and then will drop the midge.
Ron Mc

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:23 am

Hey Ron, I sent you a PM. I'm not sure if my PM's are being sent. My sent box doesn't show it and it just shows it sitting in my outbox. Anyway, I was curious if you happened to have a picture of your flashback pheasant tail wet variation. I tried one last night, and wasn't real satisfied with how it turned out. I usually do epoxy back flashback pheasant tails, so it sounds like your version is a lot simpler. Was also thinking of just doing preacock ice dub for the thorax. I tried jusing olive/pearl flashabou last night, but wasn't happy and was wondering if I did it right?
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:26 pm

John, I have honestly tied two of these in my life - one of those tinkering type exercises - and that, a couple of years ago. I fished the first one away acouple of years ago, as well. The second just happened to be in my fly box and it did so well at one outing, that I used it again on a second outing and it worked great.

Could probably even tie it simpler, with a long pheasant-fiber tail, twisted flashabou body and soft hackle.
Ron Mc