sparkle nymph

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:29 pm

Thanks Ron. I'll experiment some more and see what I can come up with.
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:54 pm

Well, here is what I came up with. My partridge feathers are a little long, but hopefully the fish won't mind. I am looking forward to taking this fly for a swim, and see if it will do the trick. I tied this in size 16.

Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:39 am

Yummie !!!

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:12 am

Nice fly!

Partridge is one of my favorite tying materials, especially for soft hackles, but when I'm tying them in the smaller sizes, partridge can be too long. I know there are ways to tie them in shorter, but I've found that hen hackle works just as well. There's a product called JV (for juvenile) hen hackle sold by Dennis Conrad of Conranch Hackle (www.conranch.com) that works really well.

Dennis is great to work with -- you won't get any faster customer service anywhere.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:08 am

John, that is hot - you will catch trout with that one.
Ron Mc

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:17 am

Thanks! Thanks for the idea Ron. I used your twisted flashabou idea and just tied it like a Trina's bubbleback emerger.
Thanks,

John Michael

castell

Post by castell » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:26 pm

2 questions:

1) What are the different schools of thought regarding beadhead soft hackles vs. not-beadhead soft hackles on the Guadalupe? I typically fish the BH as my top fly, but if I'm going for the midge, then would think that sans-BH would be the way to go. I've tied a few versions of lava lace soft hackles (with & without bh) & will try them out this weekend, just wanted to know how other experiments have gone.

2) Is there a consensus on the correct color of soft hackle to fish on the Guadalupe? The only thing that I had to match a size 16 sproat hook is a ginger hen neck but my thought is that a darker color (mahogany or even black) might be a better match for red or olive lava lace.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:21 am

I use beadheads when the fly is my dropper, and I use unweighted flies when the fly is my attractor.
Also, for the bead, I'm using XS copper, so there's not enough weight here for it to be my primary weight - I'm using a split shot above both flies.

Ginger hen sounds like it would tie a great fly. I think what's important is to have some amount of texture markings or grizzle in the feather - the partridge on John's photo above is a great example.
Ron Mc

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:40 pm

Agreed! I love how partridge looks, but haven't developed the skill to shorten the barbs to the right length for smaller flies, so I use Grizzly JV Hen Neck from Conranch, or sometimes starling. I noticed that Ron will sometimes use quail.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:26 pm

yes, that's because the little feathers are gone from my partridge skin...
If I hunt a bit on the bobwhite, I can find nicely grizzled feathers.
Ron Mc