fly colors

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

portalto

fly colors

Post by portalto » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:50 pm

Being color blind I already have one strike against me when matching the hatch. My wife is my colorist and that is where the problems begin. When I tell her what people (tyers) say a certain color is she cannot believe it. I finally got her to agree that olive is a color. When reading recipes and people say green-lime, kelly, marine, forest-which one is it. Any body have advice on how to standardize colors when posting or giving recipes.

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:30 pm

there is no set color standard for tying materials, probably because there are so many diffrent companies out there. But there definitely needs to be. It seems just about every company has a diffrent way to call a certain color... and just about every companies colors are slightly diffrent from one another. Like when trying to buy a chartreuse material, just about every one is diffrent and alot of them look like they should be just called green, while others are more of a yellow. Being color blind I can see how it would be very hard for you to get the right color you are looking for considering how many diffrent ways people will call a particular color. I guess either take a person with you that knows exactly what color shade you are looking for, or take some pictures with you the next time you go to buy materials.

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:44 pm

Years ago, Gary Borger, famous fly fisher, fly tyer, and professor of biology at University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, developed a standardized system of colors for use in matching fly tying materials across manufacturers, materials, and dye lots. It is known as the BCS or Borger Color System. It was adopted by Gudebrod for use with their fly tying threads. Here's a link to the page of the Gudebrod website showing the BCS colors:

http://www.gudebrod.com/fishing2005/BorgerColor.htm

And a link to Gary's own web page, where you can order a color chart, much like you would find in a paint store, with color chips keyed to the Borger Color System:

http://www.finefishing.com/authors/borger/borgpage.htm

And here's a quote from Gary about the BCS:

"The BCS or Borger Color System was published in 1986. It was the result of 20 years of research into the colors of the fish’s food organisms. It is currently out of print while a second edition containing a total of 300 colors is being finalized. Watch for the 2nd edition later this year."
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

portalto

Post by portalto » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:33 pm

Thanks for the good info. I will wait til the new one comes out and look into getting one. I have one book by Borger- Nymphing: A Basic Book. Has very usable info and some interesting flies to try and tie. Thanks again for the tip on the colors.

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:39 pm

A bit of trivia...Gary Borger's son Jason was the "casting double" for Brad Pitt in "A River Runs Through It"

The Federation of Flyfishers recently honored Gary with the 2006 Buz Buszek award, given to those "who have shown a high degree of tying skill, creativity and innovation and sharing of their knowledge either by teaching or publication".
Mark Dillow