Fly Tying Tip of the Day

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:22 pm

Some times faded colors can be a good thing! Take these strands of flex-floss for instance. The two strands on the left used to be grey, but I left them out in the sun for a few days and noticed that they turned brown, so I continued to leave them out to get sun bleached. Now they are the perfect color for tying larva or nymph patterns, they also work great for shrimp legs on saltwater patterns.

Another good thing about using flex-floss as ribbing on your nymph or larva patterns is that you can use a needle to split them in half or even smaller, giving you much less bulk when tying flies in the 20-26 range.

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:15 pm

when i was tying at the fly tying festival in houston a few weeks back, one of the guys there showed me a easy way to make efective eyes. He took a hair brush, the kind often used for womens hair with the long mono type bristles with small black ball tips, and simply plucked out a bristle cut it to length and tied it on....

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:24 pm

When you get threw tying for the day make sure that you take poper care in putting away your materials.. Make sure you neatly slide your neck or saddle hackles in there protective plastic and store them some where they will lay flat. If they lay bent overnight they will stay that way, ruining a very expensive set of feathers.. If you happen to acidently do this try using the steam tip I gave a few weeks ago. Buck tails also need to get stored poperly, make sure you dont squash up the tips of the hairs by stuffing them into a storage box. Keep your tread away from direct sunlight, it will ruin you thread fast and leave it sun bleached. Also remember to keep all natural materials kept in a place where your dogs cant get to them! I once came home to a house full of half eatin calf tails and feathers every where... It was not a pretty sight..

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:46 am

Ha! Been there. Labs love fur n feathers!
Mark Dillow

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:02 am

Sorry for not posting regularly the past few days... Iv been so bussy.. Tied up a few saltwater flies for the upcoming spring and got a request to show how to tie a vip popper on anouther forum, thought I would share it with you guys to.

Heres the break down on Cptn. Scott Sparrow's vip popper.

He uses a piece of foam you can get at hobby lobby, its a foam door tag (they also have a foam cross there that is a little bit thicker, its better because it keeps the fly more upright when sitting in the water.) For the legs he uses flex-floss from spirit river. 8mm doll eyes. yellow deer body hair. Gold wing-n-flash. And a gamakatsu B10S hook, size 4 or 6 (i mostly use a size 4).

Its pretty simple to tie, start by cutting out your foam piece to use later. Make a small triangle shape with one end squared off, keeping it proportional to the size of hook you are using. Use a bobkin or needle to make a small hole threw it, after you have pushed it threw the foam piece (head first) heat the needle up with a lighter and slide it back threw the foam, this will make the hole large enough to slide over the hook eye and thread. By shoving the needle threw head first then heating it will allow you to get it at the correct allignment and also the hot part of the needle to melt the back of the foam first and while you are slideing it threw it will cool down and leave you with a small hole infront leaving your a nice clean head (its hard to explain i guess, once you do it you will understand what im trying to say)..
For the tying just tie on some flash and 6 strands of flex-floss. Then add a drop of cement and spin a small clump of deer hair on, use your piece of foam to gauge where to tie it in at. Wrap thread almost to the hook eye so when you glue the foam on it has something to hold on to. Next glue the foam piece on with some super glue or zap-a-gap. Then use a two sided razor blade to trim off the hairs. Then glue the eyes on and your ready to catch some fish!!!

To add a weedguard heat up your needle again and melt a small hole underneath. Put a small drop of zap-a-gap over the hole and slip in a piece of mono. Cut it down to the right size after it has dried.

You can also change up the tail to make it have a larger profile.. Not only is this fly great for red fish but its also proved deadly for bass!

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:36 am

Very nice, Alan! Good photo sequence.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:28 pm

when coloring a fly with a permanent marker always color the side that is away from you first, this way you can see the mark threw the fibers of the fly allowing you to perfectly align your marks when you color the side facing you.

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:52 pm

Heres a cool little gadget that works wonders on any thing from dressing up final touches on a fly, seiring the ends of mylar braided tubeing, triming the wings on your dry flies, all the way to cutting tuff braided lines with ease. The posibilities are almost endless... Every day I use it I find something new I can use it for.

Its pretty much just a small soldering gun, the end heats up and will melt threw just about anything. I got this one at bass pro shop for about $18
but you can find them cheaper on ebay.

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:52 pm

Whiting has been selling a medium sized package of thin saddle feathers that are a perfect buy for the more comon fly tyier not wanting to spend a hundred bucks on a quality cape. They offer a wide varitey of sized ranging from size 12 all the way down to a size 22. And being a saddle feather you can get a few flies out of each feather..
I just hope these high flows dosnt knock out our great spring time dry fly fishing.. and i get a chance to use the countless dries iv tied up this past month.

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:02 pm

get into the habit of firmly flicking the hook with your thumb after you place it into the vice to insure yourself that the hook will not slip when your in the middle of a critical step.. A good vice should be able to hold the hook allowing you to bend it before it begins to slip.

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:32 pm

for my 100th reply!!! i thought i would try and do something new and show you guys a few small video clips that I made to try and help people learn how to whip finish. I made three videos... first one is tying off with your bare hands, and the other two use diffrent style whip finish tools. I hope this better illistrates how to tie off, much better than words could describe any way...

click on the links below to view the vidoes..

Bare Hands: http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r239 ... I_2119.flv

Large Whip Finish Tool: http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r239 ... I_2124.flv

Small Whip Finish Tool: http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r239 ... I_2126.flv

sorry for the poor quality of the video, i used my digital camera, not a video recorder... Ill try and do better next go around.

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:59 pm

Happy Easter every one!!!!! :o

A few months ago I posted a tip about using a piece of a straw to help keep fibers out of the way when tieing off. Today when I was tying up a few saltwater flies I found a new way to use it. I sliped the straw over the tail feathers so when I packed the head with scuplin wool. This way none of the marabou would get in the way as I trimed up the head of the fly. After getting the head just the way i wanted it i simply cut off the straw leaving a clean fly.

This technique could also be used the same way when spinning deer hair with a complex tail that gets into the way.

I broke the adjustment screw on my renzettie so i had to dust off my anvil apex to continue tying for the day...

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Sun May 13, 2007 10:08 pm

This weekend remined me the importance of trying to come up with new patterns. After fishing a few diffent flies I ruled out a few that had no chance but came accros one that was a deffinante keeper. After landing a 27" trout and 10 reds threw the course of the weekend on it, it has earned its place on my trucks visor. After switching to selveral diffent patterns it dawned on me how much this helps on determining what the fish are really after and what they want to eat. Dont be scared to test out new flies when your in the fish, this is by far the best time to test out your new creations. Dont get stuck on using the same fly over and over, trying out new flies is the only way you can find your new "best" fly. Also take that fly and make several new variations to it so you can pin point what it is extactly the fish are keying in on and what it is that they do not like about it. This will help you in the future to come up with new productive flies.

J L Dunn

Post by J L Dunn » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:37 pm

O K, what does your "deffinante keeper" look like, and how do you tie it.

(I'm a newbie to this site, but a long time fly fisherman...I've tied more wind knots than anyone on this board! :):)

JLD

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:49 pm

hello guys!!!! long time no post... after settleing in with my new job and doing alot of saltwater fishing this summer (pretty much every weekend) i have not had much time to post.. I will be tying lots of trout flies in the weeks to come in prep. for this years trout fishing. I'll try to post new tips for you guys and continue my page..