Vise advice

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

LabRat

Vise advice

Post by LabRat » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:01 am

All,
Do you prefer a clamp vise or a pedestal vise...and why?
Mark Dillow

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:54 am

I don't tie much, except when I have to, but I like my Renzetti pedestal. You don't need a dedicated tying table to use this vise an you can tie with it almost anywhere. With clamp vises you could mar the table your using and if it's your wife's table that can lead to less time off fishing, much less another chance at using that table for fly tying. Also if you ever tie a fly in the field the pedalestal works very well on the hood of any car. Jimbo

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:45 pm

Thanks Jimbo. Maybe Santa knows how to get tot he Renzetti plant for me :wink:
Mark Dillow

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:40 pm

I looked around for a while after I quickly began to outgrow my initial starter vise (as I found it to be lacking in some features and frustrating to work with as I got into tying more complicated nymph patterns) to find the one with all the features I really wanted. I found them in the Dyna King Barracuda Jr. vise. Next I had to decide whether to get the clamp version or the pedestal base. I remember trying them both ways, and I am sure this is a personal preference thing, but I chose the clamp. I didn't like the (possibility) of the base lifting as I was tying and making upward pulls when wrapping etc. I know the bases are pretty heavy, and this may not even be a problem with most tyers, I just liked the secure feeling of having the vice clamped down. I also figured it would be a lot lighter in the suitcase for air travel. And you could always put some softer wood stips under the clamps if you need to clamp it on a nicer table, to make sure it doesn't mar the finnish. I also liked the idea that I could clamp the vice to just about anything when traveling, and that even if I was ever backpacking I could clamp it to a tree branch or something in a worst case scenario. Of course since then, I have found that I don't take all my fly tying stuff with me on trips, I just tie all my flies before hand, so it really doesn't matter as it stays clamped to my tying desk. But I do have to say I love the features and feel of the Dyna King Barracuda Jr. Vise, and highly reccomend it.
Last edited by John M. White on Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

portalto

Post by portalto » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:00 pm

I have a Renzetti Traveler that I have had for years. It is a clamp which I like. I have a tray I clamp it to when I want to be in the TV room watching a game etc. I like that I can tie big salt water flies down to size 24 midges and I really like the rotary feature for putting on hackle for wooly buggers and for flies like clousers.

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:31 pm

I also have a Renzetti Traveler but I use the pedestal. It is well weighted and does not move around much when you tie. I tie big saltwater flies with it all the time and it never moves on me. The jaws are big enough to hold a 1/0 hook and small enought to hold a 24. And its holds the hook very well, you can bend the hook before it will slip! I prefer the pedestal mount because I can move it around on my tying table easly if im making epoxy eyes and or preparing materials to tie. Its never in the way... and if it gets in the way of something all you have to do is slide it over, instead of unclamping it.. moving it over then reclamping it.....
There is nothing like making that perfect cast to a tailing red and watching him devour your fly and take off like a freight train!!!!

Wait... Setting the hook and watching a bow take air, that might be better!!!!

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:44 pm

The Renzetti Traveler was the first vise I owned, and I still use it, ten years later, when I travel. It truly is a great travel vise, and I carry it with both clamp and pedestal, since I prefer to use a clamp whenever possible, but some hotels or other places I stay do not have tables conducive to using the clamp.

That said, I have since purchased other vises. The newer vises have at least three characteristics in common -- they are heavier, use cams for closure, and are clamp models. Actually, I think I have pedestal attachments for most of them, but only use the clamps.

For me, it has to do with a solid feel and a sense that when secured by a clamp, the vise won't move when I apply pressure, combined with a feeling that I can get the jaws themselves closer to the table, and thus lower for my hands and shoulders, which causes less fatigue.

So I keep my Renzetti in a travel bag with a small lamp, extension cord, and all it's attachments (including a cool right angle extension that can bring it out over my lap), and I have my two tying tables (don't ask) set up with a Renzetti Presentation 3000 clamp model and the other with a Dyna-King Barracuda Junior, also in clamp. When I want to tie really big saltwater flies or spin deer hair and apply lots of pressure, I may pull out my old, trusty Dyna-King Sidewinder.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:56 pm

My Bad. :oops: I have the Barricuda Junior as well! I just looked at the box to double check.
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:30 am

Being a novice tyer (probably been at it 3 years or so), I started out with one of the inexpensive started kits from Cabelas, just to see if it was something I would enjoy (oh foolish man that I am). :wink:

Then I took a beginning flytying class at the old Austin Orvis where we used the Regal vise.

After tying for a couple seasons, I wanted to get into a rotarty vise to have more options avaliable to me. I wasn't quite ready to make the investment in Renzetti, so I bought a Danica rotary vise.

A couple of things I have found about that vise that I don't particularly like is that my trash bag attachment won't work with the Danica becuase it doesn't have a standard size stem.

The main 2 complaints I have is (1) it seems to be limited in the ability to adjust the height of the vise, and (2)I find it difficult to tie larger flies like Clousers with it, in part becasue the geometry of the jaws and main body of the vise makes it difficult for me to use my left hand to grasp materials against the shank.

Has anyone else had experience with this vice and found the same problems?
Mark Dillow

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:50 am

I bought a Danica for my son to use, since he's left handed and all my other vises were set up for a right handed tyer. He didn't get interested in tying, I tried the vise a couple of times and found it somewhat annoying in the ways you've described, and so it's been back in the box for several years.

I was just noticing in my latest Fly Tyer magazine that the Renzetti Presentation 2000 vise won the Ka-Ching! award as the best new product at the most recent Fly Fishing Retailers Expo. It's a bit pricey ($265), but looks to have all the key features you look for in a good rotary vise and comes in either clamp or pedestal versions.

See it here:

http://www.feather-craft.com/2006Xmas/fcpage.asp?page=7

And get it on that Christmas list.
Mickfly

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:58 am

Cool! Thanks Mick. I am afraid my wife isn't going to let me play with you anymore though :wink:
Mark Dillow

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:35 am

Mick, looks like that model negates the need of having a secondary Clouser arm, if I understand it correctly. If so, that is about a $74 savings in itself
Mark Dillow

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:37 pm

Yes, that's true, and it appears to be beefy enough for saltwater flies or big streamers, while doing the small stuff as well.

Of course, the ad says it will tie on hooks from 4/0 to 28, so I'll need two more vises to tie my 5/0s and 32s.
Mickfly