What's In Your Fly Box for Guadalupe River Trout?

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

pjvanek

Re: What's In Your Fly Box for Guadalupe River Trout?

Post by pjvanek » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:15 pm

I'm not sure what distant learning is, but I'll try to stay on topic!

I've only had one opportunity to fish to rising trout on the Guad, and Lord only knows what they were eating. I couldn't see anything on the surface, so perhaps emergers just under the surface? A friend and I actually had some decent luck on dry / droppers, and about half the fish we caught came up and ate our dries.....a #14 parachute Adams was on my line. On those rare occasions they are looking up, what dries do ya'll use? Or maybe a better question is what dries do you carry for the Guad? I know hatches can run the gamut between tiny BWO's and huge hex's and I guess largely it would depend on what is coming off the water. Any dry / dropper rigs ya'll have had luck on? Thanks!

PV

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:02 am

With the proviso that I rarely fish dries on the Guad, I think that you should think more about fly type than specific pattern. Any fly type can be tied to match a specific bug, but different fly types have different characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses.

Having said that, my own preference is for dry flies tied with a lot of soft stuff (soft hackle, cdc, etc.). The reason for this preference is the one aspect of imitation that often goes unmentioned: motion.

I'm also partial to Sandy Pittendrigh's innovative dry fly designs.

WadeWebb

Post by WadeWebb » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:40 pm

Hello! Thanks for asking! I will be following the answers to this questions, since I just wanted to start a new thread on this theme!

Cassio

Post by Cassio » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:24 pm

I figured I would revive this thread with some new flies and techniques that have been successful in these low flows and picky fish.

First of all bead head red fox squirrel nymph is such a great pattern, I like with small rubber legs, I don't know why I didn't use them in the past. I've been using it almost exclusively as my attract or fly with great success.

I also began tying variations of zebra midges but using a small amount of dubbing instead of a bead. They are quick to tie and produce well, I like them in cream color, silver wire, and black dubbing.

As far as technique I've been swinging flies a lot more often this season with these lower flows. It's been a learning experience but so much fun and the strikes are so memorable. Plus it saves time rigging.

Blewis

Post by Blewis » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:57 pm

I keep wanting my wet flies to work, but small RS2's in grey were the only thing that produced last time for me.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:34 am

if you're fishing your wet fly as an attractor, with a smaller dropper, it may be working, anyway. If the attractor turns the fish, and the fish takes the dropper, both flies have done their job.

A technique to have in your back pocket is skittering a crazy big dry fly - sofa pillow, hex pattern. This also works best with a tiny midge dropper tied to the hook bend with a clinch knot, same way you'd tie your dropper to a woolly bugger. But skittering works long after the December hex hatch is over. Fish that get hit hard begin feeding on a time cycle as a defense mechanism. Quoting Gary Borger from his GRTU presentation years ago, "Big fish aren't smart, big fish are cowards."
This is why you can fish a spot for 20 min without a strike, get 4 strikes on consecutive casts, then nothing again. When hunger finally overcomes fear and one fish makes a feeding move, competition takes over. Fishing on the swing can sometimes break this cycle. Skittering a big dry can be a really dynamic way to get them going again - and it's fun watching 3 or 4 trout chasing your silly big dry fly. If you've never tried this, lightly twitch the rod while you pull on the line.
Don't everybody do it at once, but it's something to try before giving up on a pool and moving on. And if it does work, then everybody do it at once, because you can work a pool into a frenzy.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:48 am

Those pictures are from a good number of years ago.
Good times !

Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:20 pm

Alex Argyros wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:02 am
With the proviso that I rarely fish dries on the Guad, I think that you should think more about fly type than specific pattern. Any fly type can be tied to match a specific bug, but different fly types have different characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses.

Having said that, my own preference is for dry flies tied with a lot of soft stuff (soft hackle, cdc, etc.). The reason for this preference is the one aspect of imitation that often goes unmentioned: motion.

I'm also partial to Sandy Pittendrigh's innovative dry fly designs.
hey Jimbo, the photos are a few years younger than this thread.
Replying to Alex's dry fly post, I fish dries that I can see, and dry-fly success on the Guad requires changing flies - and of course has to start with being at the right place and time.
Steve F with a nice fish caught on dry.
Eighteen one afternoon, (finally) out-scoring Bruce, Steve and Floyd
they initially hit big (size 12) cahills and parachutes
but I finally had to dig into my size 16s and 18s - all cul-de-canard, and good thing, because I can see that little white tuft.
ok, I have to wear my glasses to see them
Ron Mc