help setting up gear

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

saiguanas

help setting up gear

Post by saiguanas » Mon May 01, 2006 11:02 am

I'm so new that I haven't even got my ankles wet yet. I bought a WW Grigg combo that already has the backing and floating fly line attached. I know that I need a tippet but what kind? I have a 5 weight rod with weight forward floating line. What is the difference between leader and tippet and do I need both? Can I use dry and wet flies with the same setup?

gneubauer

Post by gneubauer » Mon May 01, 2006 11:15 am

You can use your existing setup for both floating and wet flies or nymphs.

You need to buy a tapered leader and tippet.

The leader connects to the fly line, and then the tippet connects to the leader Generally, you use the tippet to replace the portion of the leader you use up while fishing. (ie tying on flies) You can do a search for fly knots online and receive plenty of examples of how to tie all the pieces parts together.

-greg

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Mon May 01, 2006 2:32 pm

It would help to get yourself a book on beginning fly fishing, but in the meantime, go to a good website, like

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

Then click on "Flyfishing Basics," and then on "Flyfishing 101." It will take you to a whole series of topics that should answer most of your questions. One of the topics is "leaders and tippets."

You can also show up at a local flyshop or at one of our chapter meetings or the meeting of a Federation of Fly Fishers chapter in your area and get help from some of the members.

If you have other specific questions, please let us know.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

mopar340

Post by mopar340 » Mon May 01, 2006 9:17 pm

without a doubt, immediately hire one of the guides that are also club members. They are all top notch people as evidenced by the reputations they enjoy in this forum and whoever you choose will show you more in 1 trip than you can learn in years by yourself(voice of experience here). Do it quick as the season is drawing to a close to still catch fish, but the experience of the trip and lessons learned will carry on, fish or no....... :wink:
"if it's good to ya, it HAS to be good for ya"

saiguanas

Post by saiguanas » Wed May 03, 2006 4:41 pm

Is that to say that fly fishing is not year round or that the trout won't be there but the other fish will?

gneubauer

Post by gneubauer » Wed May 03, 2006 7:20 pm

Trout do survive all year, but as the water temp increase the stress on the fish increases. Most GRTU people fish for warm water species during the summer for that reason.

The trout will be in the deeper pools.

-greg