Favorite scissors?

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

LabRat

Favorite scissors?

Post by LabRat » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:04 am

I need to step up and buy some better quality scissors for my tying. I need an all purpose pair, and probably a pair for detail work. What should I buy?

Also, can fly tying scissors be sharpened?
Mark Dillow

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:54 pm

Yes, the scissors can be sharpened, though I've not tried to have mine sharpened.

My favorite tying scissors are actually surgical instruments. They are Miltex Iris Scissors, available on eBay, through medical supply houses, or some fly shops. I got my first pair from Hunter's Angling Supplies in Massachusetts, now part of Stone River Outfitters (www.stoneriveroutfitters.com). They come with either straight or curved blades. I prefer the curved blades, since I feel they get me in closer and help in shaping bodies and eggs.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:09 am

Get some Anvil "blue ice" scissors. They make about 5 diffrent styles from long strait to short curved for those hard to reach spots, all work well. I own 3 pairs and I love them.
There is nothing like making that perfect cast to a tailing red and watching him devour your fly and take off like a freight train!!!!

Wait... Setting the hook and watching a bow take air, that might be better!!!!

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:08 am

Alan:

Welcome to the Humble Order of Guadlupe Fly Tyers. We appreciate your comments and look forward to more.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.