RS2 help with tying in tails

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

LabRat

RS2 help with tying in tails

Post by LabRat » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:20 pm

All,
I'm a semi-beginning fly tyer looking for some advice. I am tying up some RS2s, and am having trouble figuring out the best way to tie the tails on. I am using this as a guide:
http://home.att.net/%7Eferenc/Tie-rs22.htm

I am wondering if I am having trouble b/c I am not using a straight shank hook (I was only able to find Tiemco 206BL hooks, which are fine wire curved shank hooks). Kevin Hutchinson at Sportmans Finest said they would work fine, but I have a devil of a time trying to get the tails to stay on one side or the other.
Mark Dillow

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:20 pm

Mark:

The tails are by far the hardest part of that fly. Mostly it takes practice, but there are a few tricks others have suggested. One is to tie in a small ball of dubbing at the bend and use it to split the tails. Another is to wrap the tag end of the thread back to the bend and pull it forward between the tails to split them. Another is to use a figure 8 wrap to capture them. Experiment and decide which works best for you.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:10 pm

Mick, you can tie flys for me anytime! Jimbo

bhigdon

Post by bhigdon » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:20 am

I use the ball on the butt method that Mick mentions. I skip the dubbing for speed. I just add a couple more turns of tread to create the ball.

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:17 pm

Mick, thanks for the help with the RS2 today. It was great to meet you.
Mark Dillow

AlanKulcak

Post by AlanKulcak » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:21 am

make your first 2 wraps loose then pull them tight with the tail in the correct position. Use your thumb and index finger to pinch the line against the hookshank as you make the wraps and it will help you hold everything together as you make the loose wraps.
There is nothing like making that perfect cast to a tailing red and watching him devour your fly and take off like a freight train!!!!

Wait... Setting the hook and watching a bow take air, that might be better!!!!

bassackwards

Post by bassackwards » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:19 am

Not only is the split tail a pain to tie in, but one of the fibbets usually breaks off. I've started using a small clump of wood duck (about 5 fibers). I think the mottled markings look more like a mayfly nymph tail.

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:06 pm

That's a good idea. I'll try that next time.
Mark Dillow

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:44 pm

I use two fibers from a partridge feather to make the split tails. It works easily for me, and they are a little mottled as well, which I think makes it a little more buggy.
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:32 pm

If all else fails, use the bristles from a fine paint brush. They're usually pretty rugged.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

wiscoy

Post by wiscoy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:04 pm

The other thing I found difficult when tying these flies was the ability to see the tails against the back drop of the vise (black tail against black vise). I found that putting a small piece of white tape on top of the vise, at the rear of the fly, helps you to see the tail fibers. Doing this then makes them easier to split.