A little help for Casting For Recovery

Fun with fur and feathers

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

ktgeb

A little help for Casting For Recovery

Post by ktgeb » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:26 am

Hey while you tyers are busy tying would you tie a few extra for the women who attend the Casting For Recovery weekend? We are scheduled for April of 2006. Austin Fly Fishers donated a bunch last year and I thought GRTU could help out too. I plan on getting some fly boxes so each woman can have Guad Flies. There will be 14 women at the retreat.

Thanks
Karen

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:04 pm

Hey Karen, how about a report on the CFR weekend?
Mark Dillow

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:02 am

Karen can give you all the specifics, but I can say from my perspective as a "River Helper" on Sunday that the event was a big success. Thirteen women from all over Texas participated in the program, and there were at least that many staff members around to give them a hand. In addition to co-leaders Susan Gaetz and Stacy Trimble, CFR National rep Susan Balch, Karen, Cindy Stewart, and Mary Rohrer as instructors, there were also medical personnel and "psycho-social support" personnel. We had several GRTU members show up as River Helpers on Sunday, including Greg and Gretchen Neubauer, Alan Bray, Andy Niland, and Cynde Schmitt.

Thanks to GRTU's chapter members, they had the money needed to support all participants, had lots of flies for their flyboxes, and great help on stream as nearly everyone caught fish. Two of the women were sponsored by the Austin American-Statesman, so they had a reporter/photographer there taking lots of pictures and doing several interviews. Watch for the coverage in the paper sometime this week.

I had a great time and can't wait to join them again next year.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.